||13 July 2015 (Update)
||30 seconds (50 ticks)
|Hurl a Storm Shard at the target.
- Stack 75%-95% ability damage on the target.
- Stack 25%-32% damage in PvP.
- Trigger all stacked damage by using the Shatter ability.
- Maximum of 10 stacks.
|Infobox • Talk page
Storm Shards is a basic Constitution ability, unlockable through Raids from either the untradeable Storm Shards and Shatter Ability Codex, or the tradeable Mazcab ability codex. It is unlocked with the Shatter ability. This ability is able to stack on its target. If it hits the target, it will deal no damage, but instead apply 75-95% ability damage (an average of 85%) in the form of a Storm Shard stack. If it misses, no stacks are applied. Up to 10 Storm Shards can be stacked on a target at any given time, at which point the ability can no longer be activated against the target.
When Shatter hits a target with Storm Shards stacks, the stacks are removed, and the damage from the stacks is applied in one go, up to a maximum of 30,000 life points. Its damage is reduced to 25-32% ability damage in PvP and the use of Freedom will halve the damage stored. Storm Shards will end if the user does not attack the target for 10 consecutive seconds.
Since the effect of Storm Shards is to "save up" damage to be applied at a later time, one use is in fighting bosses that become more powerful over time, by building up stacks early and then going through later phases more quickly.
Some bosses react to Storm Shards in different manners:
- Storm shard stacks persist between phase transitions of most bosses and NPCs, except Vorago, who may remove all stacks accumulated during phase transition.
- The boss is still affected by stacks as usual, but halve them to then nearest whole number during their final phase. Currently this applies to Nex transitions, Araxxor/Araxxi (the latter halves accumulated stacks) and Telos, the Warden (if the fight carries over to phase 5).
Storm Shards is unaffected by abilities like Berserk or Sunshine; however, the threshold counterpart, Shatter, is affected by damage boosting abilities.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 20 July 2020 (Update):
- The Storm Shards debuff icon will now appear on the enemy player's Target Bar during PVP.
- patch 18 April 2016 (Update):
- Storm shard stacks now persist between phase transitions of most bosses and NPCs, not including Vorago. The stacks are still halved between Nex transitions and now also when beginning a fight against Araxxi.
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- The storm shards ability is now consistently cleared when an NPC dies, such as the Prifddinas elves.
- patch 19 October 2015 (Update):
- Ability can no longer be used if 10 stacks are already applied to the target.
- There was a bug where if Storm Shards is used against another player's familiar in the Wilderness, it will not skull the user and the familiar will retaliate. If the familiar manages to inflict damage on the user, it will skull the owner of that familiar instead. This has been fixed.