Plays when the player casts Stagger
Stagger (formerly Stun) is a curse spell in the standard spellbook that temporarily reduces the target's hit chance by 10% for 60 seconds. It does not stack with Confuse, although a target may suffer from both at the same time.
It can be cast again on the same target at any time to refresh the duration. Experience is gained only if it hits.
- It was once possible to cast Stagger on dummies at Varrock and Lumbridge; however, this can no longer be done. Some players were upset by the removal of the ability to Stagger dummies, as it had been a popular method of training Magic.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, Vulnerability and Enfeeble were used alongside Stagger for training Magic in metal armour because the spell would always miss with a low enough Magic attack bonus (-65). It could be re-cast indefinitely in this manner, resulting in quick experience. This training method was no longer possible after the Evolution of Combat, but was made possible by being able to re-cast it in 2017.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 24 July 2017 (Update):
- Players can now recast affinity spells (such as Vulnerability) when they are already active to restart the timer.
- Players now receive a message for successfully adding an affinity spell to an opponent.