The staff of light is a two-handed staff that requires 75 Magic to wield. It is obtained as a unique drop from ice strykewyrms, requiring 93 Slayer to kill. The golden parts of the staff can be recoloured into blue, green, red, and yellow at a one time cost of 2,000 Loyalty points by using it on Xuan in Burthorpe/Varrock or Dilwyn in Prifddinas.
The staff of light features a few special properties. When a combat spell (including curse spells like Confuse or Entangle) is cast with the staff, there is a 12.5% (1/8) chance that the staff will negate the rune cost for that spell. This chance increases to 20% when wearing combat robes, and 50% when wearing battle robes. When the effect activates, the following message appears in the chat box: "Your spell draws its power completely from your weapon." Additionally, the staff of light can be used as a more accurate alternative to the slayer's staff for casting Slayer Dart.
Recoloured staves must be returned to the original colour before adding an augmentor to create an augmented staff of light.
A wyrm heart can be added to a staff of light to turn it into a more powerful, but degradeable staff of darkness. The staff of darkness recharges by 50% after consuming a staff of light.
One is also required to complete a master Treasure Trail emote clue, and thus can be stored in the hidey-hole in the Invention Guild.
The staff of light's special attack, Power of Light
The staff of light has a special attack called Power of Light, which uses 100% adrenaline. When used, all damage from melee attacks against the player is reduced by 50% for 1 minute. The effect resets the timer if you use the special attack twice before 1 minute, and the effect ends if you switch out your weapon. When the effect ends, the following message appears in the chat box: "The power of the light fades. Your resistance to melee attacks returns to normal."
Before the Evolution of Combat[edit | edit source]
The Staff of Light was one of the most used staves before the Evolution of Combat, particularly before the introduction of the polypore staff. Besides its strong Magic accuracy, it also had decent melee stats roughly equivalent to a dragon weapon (it required 75 Attack along with 75 Magic to wield), and had a special attack that would halve all melee damage taken for one minute, draining 100% of the bar. Also, a target did not have to be selected to use this special attack.
The staff was the one primarily used with the Ancient Magicks. Its rune-saving effect was especially useful before the EoC, when spells such as Blood Barrage would cost over 2,000 coins a cast.
This is an auto-generated list (update now
), and shows the first 100 items alphabetically. For all items, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
Comparison with other magical weapons[edit | edit source]
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- Using the special attacks of the Staff of Darkness and the Staff of Light now causes the buff/debuff icons to appear on the Buff Bar.
- patch 22 July 2014 (Update):
- The Staff of Light special attack will no longer give the berserk effect when it runs out in legacy mode.
- patch 6 October 2010 (Update):
- The staff of light’s effects now work in all scenarios.
- patch 5 July 2010 (Update):
- The staff of light special effects will no longer work on free worlds.
- patch 24 June 2010 (Update):
- Added a few extra checks to the staff of light’s special attack.
- patch 22 February 2010 (Update):
- Adjusted a staff of light script that was unnecessarily cancelling its effect.
- It is possible to get the rune-saving message when using abilities, which do not cost runes unless when an Ancient Magicks spell also activates.
- While the special attack is active, a light dome shield appears around the player when the player is hit with melee attacks.
- This item shares the same examine text with Erethdor's grimoire (token).