Spring Fayre (2017)
|Release date||24 April 2017 (Update)|
|End date||5 June 2017 (Update)|
|Reward||Cosmetic overrides, emotes and more|
|Head developer||Mod Krista, Mod Mohawk|
|Preceded by||Summer Beach Party (2016)|
|Succeeded by||Summer Beach Party (2017)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Spring Fayre was a seasonal event, similar to the Summer Beach Party, that was released on 24 April 2017 and lasted until 5 June 2017. Its release was preceded by a pre-event activity called Build-A-Fayre, which was released on 18 April, where players helped to build the Helter Skelter. The fayre was located in Lumbridge Crater.
- 1 Activities
- 1.1 Agility funhouse
- 1.2 Bucking Baroo
- 1.3 Candy floss machine
- 1.4 Chinchompa Hunt
- 1.5 Claw-dia Stall
- 1.6 Dancing Platform
- 1.7 Easter Egg Shy
- 1.8 Festive egg hunt
- 1.9 Fortune teller
- 1.10 Helter Skelter
- 1.11 Hook-a-Duck
- 1.12 The Mighty Zoltan
- 1.13 Pickaxe wanging
- 1.14 Test of strength machine
- 1.15 Trixie's scavenger hunt
- 2 Happy Hour
- 3 Distraction and Diversion portals
- 4 Rewards
- 5 Controversy
- 6 Music unlocked
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Update history
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Activities[edit | edit source]
Participating in activities required the player to spend fayre attraction tokens, 100 of which were obtained for free each day. More tokens could be bought for Rune Coins in the tickets and tokens stall. All activities gave various amounts of Fayre prize tickets. Activities included:
Agility funhouse [edit | edit source]
Agility funhouse was an activity located in south-west corner of the Fayre, next to eastern exit. It functioned similarly to regular agility courses. Each lap cost 10 tokens and awarded Agility experience.
Bucking Baroo[edit | edit source]
Bucking Baroo was an activity located in north-eastern corner of the Fayre, in which player tried to stay on top of the Yak by using the correct option on the interface (Left or Right), if the player failed to do so, he or she fell down. The correct option was displayed above the arrows. Each match cost 10 tokens and awarded Defence experience.
Candy floss machine[edit | edit source]
Candy floss machine was an activity that allowed players to gain Cooking experience and a chance to obtain the candy floss maul. There were 2 machines in the Spring Fayre grounds. The machine cost 2 tokens per experience drop.
Chinchompa Hunt [edit | edit source]
Players obtained the Chinchompa hunt map from Menowin. The map was 5 columns by 6 rows. Once per day, players could click on one of the map squares for free to win a prize. To play more than once per day, players could spend 40 tokens per play.
The hunt ran for 4 weeks, with a different cosmetic outfit reward each week. If the player does not obtain all pieces of the outfit, then they may buy them using fayre prize tickets in the following weeks.
Any members who had completed all the requirements but not the chinchompa map will now have the title unlock. Players that had missed out on the obtaining The Fairest of Them All title due to the chinchompa hunt requirement will now have their title unlocked upon login, provided that all other requirements have been met.
Claw-dia Stall [edit | edit source]
The Claw-dia Stall was a claw crane game machine located in north-western corner of the Fayre. It awarded a guaranteed prize box which contained at least two items, among which may be prismatic lamps and fallen stars. Each use of the machine cost 50 tokens and the machine may only be operated twice per day. Using this gave 6 tickets.
Dancing Platform[edit | edit source]
The Dancing Platform was an activity led by Dixie and Mixie. It was located in south-east corner of the Fayre. It functioned similarly to Serenity posts, players stood on the platforms and attempted to follow the emotes done by the leaders. It awarded Prayer experience and cost 2 tokens per experience drop.
Easter Egg Shy[edit | edit source]
Easter Egg Shy was an activity located in south-eastern corner of the Fayre, in which players attempted to hit Easter eggs with various objects. Those included:
- Cabbages, which have a lower chance to hit but give higher experience
- Chinchompas, which have a higher chance to hit but give lower experience
Each successful hit cost 1 token and awarded Ranged experience.
Festive egg hunt[edit | edit source]
Festive eggs could be found around the fayre. Collecting them was a sub-requirement to unlock the Fairest of Them All title (there are additional requirements to obtain title). Festive eggs had no other use and could be destroyed after being found, as keeping them was not required for the title. Collecting the eggs did not require tokens.
|Either Bank chest (east or west of the Helter Skelter)|
|Any Hay bale found within the area|
|Cart west of the Test of strength machine, north of the Candy floss machine|
|Big Chinchompa portal (while inactive)|
|The Stage that Menowin is standing on|
|Tickets and tokens stall|
|Fortune teller's tent|
|Easter Egg Shy|
|The Mighty Zoltan|
Fortune teller[edit | edit source]
Helter Skelter[edit | edit source]
Hook-a-Duck [edit | edit source]
The Hook-a-Duck was an activity located in south-eastern corner of the Fayre. There were various different rods that players could use in this activity which affected the experience they get, and their chances of success. Each successful action cost 1 token and awarded Hunter experience.
The Mighty Zoltan [edit | edit source]
The Mighty Zoltan was located slightly east of the Helter Skelter. Operating it awarded one of the 17 mis-fortunes and Divination experience at the cost of 10 tokens per fortune. It was possible to get duplicates.
Pickaxe wanging[edit | edit source]
Pickaxe wanging was an activity located in the north-western corner of the Fayre, in which player tossed a pickaxe towards the rocks. It awarded Mining experience and cost 1 token per experience drop.
Test of strength machine[edit | edit source]
Trixie's scavenger hunt [edit | edit source]
Thieving experience was awarded in the form of a medium XP lamp for bringing items to Trixie from a random set list. The list was generated at the cost of 10 tokens. For each new list, another 10 tokens were required. It was possible to buy a new list to replace an old one if the items were not to the player's liking. Trixie was located in the north-west corner of the crater.
Happy Hour[edit | edit source]
Occasionally a Happy Hour occured which allowed players to do most of the activities without using any tokens, gain 10% more experience from activities, but only have a chance at receiving one ticket per successful action rather than the usual six.
Happy Hour is starting at the Spring Fayre! Gain increased XP and don't spend tokens whilst taking part in activities at the Fayre!
Jagex Moderators could also manually trigger a Happy Hour, by talking to Menowin. Prior to the automation update, all Happy Hours were manually triggered. If a Happy Hour was activated by a Jagex Moderator, the following message is broadcast:
Mod [Name] has started Happy Hour at the Spring Fayre! Gain increased XP and don't spend tokens whilst taking part in activities at the Fayre!
|81 (F2P) and 82, 83, 84, 85, 88 (P2P) (English)||118 (P2P) and 55 (F2P) (French)||102 (P2P) and 122 (F2P) (German)||47 (P2P) and 94 (F2P) (Portuguese)|
Activity costs[edit | edit source]
|Free||Agility funhouse (Agility)|
|Bucking Baroo (Defence)|
|Candy floss machine (Cooking)|
|Dancing Platform (Prayer)|
|Easter Egg Shy (Ranged)|
|Helter Skelter (Constitution)|
|Pickaxe wanging (Mining)|
|Test of strength machine (Strength)|
|The Mighty Zoltan (Divination)|
|Retains cost||Chinchompa Hunt (Cosmetic overrides and consolation prizes)|
|Claw-dia Stall (Event mystery box)|
|Trixie's scavenger hunt (Thieving)|
|Fortune teller (Experience boost)|
Distraction and Diversion portals [edit | edit source]
- Big Chinchompa portal
- Evil tree portal
- Familiarisation portal
- Fish Flingers portal
- Guthixian Cache portal
- Sinkhole portal
- Shooting Star portal
- Waiko portal
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Most rewards could be purchased via the three rewards shops by speaking to Nixie, Rixie, and Prezleek during the event. They could also be awarded randomly by participating in the fayre events, which gave the message . Rewards included cosmetic overrides, emotes, pets and a special title, The Fairest of Them All.
Rixie's shop[edit | edit source]
|Pickaxe hat token||Fayre Pickaxe Hat||100||9,223||92.23|
|Crystal ball token||Fayre Crystal Ball||100||6,262||62.62|
|Fortune cape token||Fayre Fortune Cape||500||119,648||239.3|
|Mallet token||Fayre Mallet||900||100,123||111.25|
|Hypnotic parasol token||Hypnotic parasol||1,100||628,352||571.23|
|Zoltan pet token||Zoltan||1,200||529,275||441.06|
Nixie's shop[edit | edit source]
Items here were all sold by Nixie, who could be found just to the north of the stage beside the Bucking Baroo activity.
|Fayre dancer emote pack 1 token||Dance Step and Samba Step||100||9,948||99.48|
|Fayre dancer emote pack 2 token||Skip Step and Twirl Step||100||8,104||81.04|
|Test of strength emote token||Test of Strength||500||26,574||53.15|
|Bucking yak teleport token||Bucking Yak teleport||600||55,577||92.63|
|Contact juggling resting token||Contact Juggling Resting||600||32,593||54.32|
Prezleek's shop[edit | edit source]
Items here were sold by Prezleek.
|Yak balloon token||Yak Balloon||1,000||1,264,778||1,264.78|
|Yak plushie token||Yak plushie||1,200||834,502||695.42|
Title[edit | edit source]
The title [Name] the Fairest of Them All was awarded for completing all parts of the event that were available to the player: free to play and ironman players did not have to complete requirements that are not available to them. Upon earning the title, players received the message . A summary of requirements to unlock the title is in the table below; for a comprehensive list of all requirements to unlock, see The Fairest of Them All.
|Find all 10 festive eggs.|
|Talk to all NPCs at the Lumbridge Crater that have dialogue.|
|Interact with all available activities.|
|Own all of the items that can be bought with Fayre prize tickets.|
Controversy[edit | edit source]
On the day of the Spring Fayre's release the event received negative feedback from players due to the limited accessibility of the content. The number of fayre attraction tokens that the player received each day allowed them to participate in the fayre's activities for only a minimal amount of time, and therefore earn a limited number of fayre prize tickets. Players believed that the number of prize tickets gained from using only the free daily attraction tokens was not sufficient to unlock all of the rewards from the event and that it would be necessary to purchase additional attraction tokens using RuneCoins or participate in Happy Hours if they wished to obtain all the rewards.
- The number of prize tickets earned when using up tokens (in other words, at any time outside of Happy Hour) was increased to 6 times the original amount.
- The number of worlds for Happy Hours was increased from 4 to 6, the frequency of Happy Hours was increased, and more times suitable for American and Australian players were added.
Happy Hours received negative feedback throughout the first few weeks of the event because of the manual work required by Jagex moderators to start them. This resulted in scheduled slots being missed, started late, or started too early. From 4 May 2017, Happy Hours were automatically activated on a schedule.
Event ending[edit | edit source]
The event ended on 5 June 2017 with the game update. The three reward shops were immediately removed. The message at sign-in stated
Tickets could only be used to obtain the four outfit override pieces from the chinchompa hunt map by right-clicking the map and selecting 'Open Store'.
Many players who were hoping to use their tickets to obtain rewards from the reward shops expressed their views on the RuneScape Forums. There was no warning about the exact time of event ending or that the reward shops would close immediately. Other events allowed a NPC which would remain a week to redeem rewards.
Mod Jam apologised for the way the Ticket and Token cleanup was handled and that Jagex will discuss ways to avoid these issues in future events.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- hotfix 8 May 2017 (Update):.
- 04/05, 13:35 UTC: Happy hour is now automated. Menowin no longer requires JMod approval.
- patch 2 May 2017 (Update):
- A number of spelling errors within the Spring Fayre have been fixed.
- The music track 'Fun of the Fayre' now correctly unlocks while music shuffle is enabled.
- Ironmen can now access the chinchompa map store and buy outfit pieces with Spring Fayre tickets.
- Anagogic orts no longer drop while riding the Bucking Baroo at the Spring Fayre.
- Players can no longer obstruct pickaxe wanging at the Spring Fayre.
- hotfix 2 May 2017 (Update):
- 24/04, 12:00 UTC: Players can now correctly hand in scavenger lists consisting of 5 items.
- 24/04, 12:00 UTC: Script error no longer occurs when using the wanging and test of strength attractions.
- 24/04, 12:00 UTC: Ironmen can no longer buy Fayre tokens with RuneCoins.
- 24/04, 13:18 UTC: No longer receive an error when talking to Trixie without an active list.
- 24/04, 14:02 UTC: Zoltan Mis-fortune 3/17 has been reworked.
- 24/04, 14:43 UTC: Players who did not participate in the Fayer Build-up but have leftover tools will now be able to turn them in for a small amount of xp.
- 25/04, 13:19 UTC: Players will now gain 6 tickets per ticket drop while using Fayre attractions. During Happy Hour all free attractions will give 1 ticket per drop.
- 26/04, 14:09 UTC: Prevented players from skipping through the pickaxe wanging animation and achieving a higher XP rate than intended.
- 27/04, 09:24 UTC: Further changes to prevent players from skipping through the pickaxe wanging animation and achieving a higher XP rate than intended.
- 27/04, 09:24 UTC: Fayre title now unlocks if the festive eggs are the last requirement met.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Saradominist preacher was relocated south of the Lumbridge castle west gatehouse (back entrance) for the event.
- Due to players originally being able to skip the animation for the pickaxe wanging activity, which allowed them to earn a very high amount of Mining experience and tickets by increasing the amount of actions that can be performed over a tick, a hotfix was released on 26 April 2017 to stop this.
- On 26 April 2017, the happy hour bonuses were accidentally activated an hour before the scheduled time, so Jagex made it last the full two hours instead.
- Participating in the activities could still drop strange rocks and anagogic orts, among various other items that can be obtained through skilling. Manifested knowledge could also spawn when wearing the correct items. However, skilling pets could not be obtained (similar to protean items).
- As 1 May 2017 was a bank holiday in the UK, only one Happy Hour occurred that day, between 19:00-20:00 Game Time on the designated English worlds.
- Despite coinciding with a Double XP Weekend, experience gained at the Spring Fayre was not affected by it.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Sayln. Spring Fayre Extension. 15 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-15.)
- ^ a b Mod Kalaya. PSA: Spring Fayre Happy Hours now automated. 4 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-04.)
- ^ Mod Sayln. The Spring Fayre - Changes coming today. 25 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-04-26.)
- ^ Mod Jam. Spring Fayre Extension. 8 June 2017.*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Shaunyowns comments on Moment of silence for Pickaxe Wanging. 26 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-04-26.)
- ^ Mod Kalaya. JagexKalaya comments on Its happy hour right now, 1 hour to early :D. 26 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-04-26.)
- ^ Mod Sayln. PSA: Spring Fayre will NOT be effected by DXP.. 18 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-19.)