Spirit gems are pocket slot items that give a chance of saving a charm when worn while creating Summoning pouches. They do not save any charms while creating binding contracts. The six gems are named after gems used in Crafting: spirit sapphire through to spirit onyx. They can be stored in a spirit gem bag.
Gems cannot be repaired and are destroyed once all charges are consumed. Spirit sapphires, emeralds, and rubies are dropped by all monsters that drop a single summoning charm. Spirit diamonds, dragonstones, and onyxes were originally only obtainable through the Squeal of Fortune for a limited time, but are now a possible prize from Treasure Hunter; they are also rarely given when opening oysters in the player's aquarium.
Spirit gems initially stack in the bank, but once activated (by equipping it), they do not. Activated gems' names have (a) appended (e.g. Spirit sapphire (a)).
Gems[edit | edit source]
After infusing an average of 100 pouches, all the charges from one spirit gem will have been used.
Combining[edit | edit source]
Combining spirit gems consolidates the charges of many gems into one gem, so that less bank management is required to use gems in bulk. Gems can be combined with any number of charges remaining, to a maximum of 1,000 charges (including used charges - combining 100 spirit sapphires with 1/10 charges remaining would leave 1 spirit sapphire with 100/1000 charges remaining).
|Gem||Number needed to
reach 1000 charges
to use 1000 charges
Forging[edit | edit source]
Spirit gems can be forged into higher tier gems. Three gems are used to forge one of the next tier. Only unactivated gems can be forged.
Forging gems results in a net loss of possible charms saved, as 3 lower tier gems always saves more in total than one of the next tier (e.g. 3 sapphires can save 30 but one emerald saves 20). The higher the tier combined, the larger the loss of total charges is.
|Gem||Number of gems needed
|Charges lost by forging|
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Spirit gems are occasionally obtained from oysters in the Aquarium. Five oysters can be opened every 24 hours, with an approximately 10% chance of getting a spirit gem each time, for roughly one spirit gem every 2 days.
All monsters that drop 1 charm at a time have the chance of dropping a spirit sapphire, emerald, or ruby.
|List of dropping monsters|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 27 January 2020 (Update):
- The charming imp can now place collected spirit gems directly into the spirit gem bag.
- Spirit gems can no longer be equipped via the bank.
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- The charming imp can now collect or gather all variations of spirit gem when they are dropped as loot.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Combining spirit gem charge no longer asks how many you'd like to combine if 1 is the only possible option.
- ninja 24 September 2018 (Update):
- Upon converting a spirit gem back to its unused form, players will now be informed if it is a combined gem and given the option to either gain the extra charges as separate gems or discard them.
- ninja 17 September 2018 (Update):
- Activated spirit gems that have yet to use any charge can now be converted back into unactivated variants.
- patch 18 December 2017 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to save more charms than are used when crafting Summoning pouches.
- patch 16 May 2016 (Update):
- A grammar issue encountered when using up the last charges of a spirit gem has been fixed.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- You can now forge spirit gems with a full inventory of the same item.
- ninja 11 May 2015 (Update):
- Messages when a spirit gem has run out of charges are now highlighted in red and are no longer filtered.
- ninja 15 September 2014 (Update):
- Players will now be able to combine multiple spirit gems into one gem providing the combined gems are of the same type. The maximum number of charges that can be held by each type of gem still remains the same once they have been combined.
- ninja 7 July 2014 (Update):
- Spirit gems now have a one-off warning when you try to equip them, instead of warning every time.
- update 17 December 2013 (Update):
- Spirit gems converted from pouch-holding to charm-saving.
- Following player feedback, we have now reverted the changes made earlier this month to the Summoning skill. Any players who still have uncharged pouches can now convert them into the relevant amount of experience and pouches.
- Following on from this, spirit gems have undergone the following changes:
- Players with charges left in their gem can now use up the charges for the correct amount of experience. As players will not receive pouches for this, their gem will convert into a new-style spirit gem.
- Each charge in a new-style spirit gem now equates to a free charm when crafting pouches. There is a varying trigger chance for the gems: from 10% for a sapphire, to 60% for an onyx.
- Spirit gems can now be equipped in the pocket slot.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, these gems were used to store uncharged Summoning pouches, similar to Runecrafting pouches; however, this was changed when the uncharged pouch update was reverted.
|Pouch holding (removed)|