This article is about the NPC in Sophanem. For music track of the same name, see Sphinx (music track)
The Sphinx is a feline creature found in Sophanem. She is involved in several quests involving cats.
As the Sphinx puts it, "I am an agent of neither good nor evil. I am unconcerned with the plight of mankind and their petty wars and beliefs." This is likely because the Sphinx is the guardian of feline kind.
The Devourer is not a friend of cats or Sphinxes.
The Sphinx is involved in four quests:
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- The sphinx in Sophanem has been reworked. This was one of the oldest models left in the game!
- The characteristics of the Sphinx are a blend of Egyptian and Greek mythology. In the legend of Oedipus the Sphinx would ask passers by riddles and if they answered incorrectly the Sphinx would strangle and consume them.
- Before the Sphinx was graphically updated in the 8 July 2009 update, it was one of the oldest remaining models in the game, and actually seemed to be a male.
- In the Wise Old Man's house, he has a golden statue of a sphinx on his bookcase. This may mean he too has spoken to the sphinx and received an approval token off her. When the player asks him about his life, he will mention that he visited Sophanem and purchased the statue as a souvenir. After he is asked if he has spoken to the Sphinx, he replies that the Sphinx is simply a tall tale and does not exist, though the player will protest that it does. This can only happen after one has completed Icthlarin's Little Helper.
- If the player speaks with Bob the Jagex Cat while wearing a catspeak amulet, Bob will refer to the Sophanem sphinxes. This implies that there are or were more than one sphinx.
- If you talk to the Sphinx after Icthlarin's Little Helper, with a cat with you, and select "I need help with the devourer", she will eventually say that she was impressed with your actions and says that she may have work for you at a later date, meaning that there may be another cat oriented quest.
- The Sphinx tells the player when asked about Icthlarin that he once was worshipped by Mahjarrat, but they left him for Zamorak, although she then says it may have actually been Zaros but it was so long ago that it doesn't really matter.
- The Mindspike glitch revealed that the Sphinx has a sizable amount of life points and will retaliate against the player with melee if attacked.
- In the original description of the Great Sphinx of Giza, it is supposedly the head of a man (which is to represent the face of Pharaoh Khafre) with a body of a lion, as well as many Egyptian mythologies. In RuneScape, Greek Mythology and most other media, the Sphinx is portrayed as female instead.
- Selecting a summoned familiar's attack option and mousing over the Sphinx reveals her to have 600 life points and a weakness to water spells. This is in contrast to the vast majority of NPCs who have 1 life point and a weakness to crush.
|Part 11 of the Desert quest series|
- Monkey, ghost
- Monkey, ghost, camel
- Monkey, ghost, cat
- Monkey, ghost, cat, camel
- Monkey, ghost, cat, enchanted
- Monkey, ghost, cat, camel, enchanted