Spellcaster gloves are a set of degradable tier 80 magic tank gloves with several passive effects that can be obtained in the Dominion Tower. They require 80 Magic and 80 Defence to wield. However, due to the minimum quest requirements to unlock them (see below), they effectively have additional skill requirements beyond this.
While wearing these gloves, each auto-attack or basic ability has a 5% chance of triggering the gloves' passive effect:
- Dealing 25% more damage (except on bleeds);
- Binding the target for 4.2 seconds (7 ticks); and
- Lowering the target's Magic, Attack, Strength and Defence by 7 levels (does not stack).
When this effect is triggered, the auto-attack or basic ability will hit 0.6 seconds (1 tick) after the cast, and the stat drain will be applied 1.2 seconds (2 ticks) after the cast. The auto-attack or basic ability does not need to hit for the bind and stat reduction to be applied.
They also reduce incoming magic damage by 1–5%, with a 5% chance of reducing by 25%–50% instead.
Spellcaster gloves degrade to dust after 15,000 charges of combat; however, they only lose charges with each damaging hit taken (including typeless damage); hits you deal (abilities or otherwise) and blocked hits (shield hitsplats) do not drain charges. This makes them last longer than would normally be expected of an item with 15,000 charges.
Spellcaster gloves come in four colours, which are functionally identical. The gloves also all have a blue particle effect.
To unlock the option to receive spellcaster gloves as a reward item from the Strange face, players must meet a number of requirements:
- Defeat a total of 500 bosses in either Climber or Endurance matches. The victories do not have to be consecutive.
- Defeat the following bosses in the Tower at least once:
The skill levels required to complete the above quests are detailed in the box to the right. These effectively function as additional requirements to obtain and use Spellcaster gloves.
While a pair of spellcaster gloves cannot be repaired, it is possible to obtain multiple pairs from the strange face by earning another 25 boss kills in either Climber or Endurance matches; this will earn an invisible "reward credit" that can be exchanged for a pair of spellcaster gloves, goliath gloves, swift gloves, or 500 dreadnips. The strange face will store up to 15 such "credits," after which they must be redeemed in order to earn more.
Comparison with other gloves[edit | edit source]
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Dominion gloves now degrade by the correct amount when looted from the gravestone.
- patch 7 November 2016 (Update):
- Goliath gloves and spellcaster gloves no longer interrupt in PvP.
- patch 4 April 2016 (Update):
- Killing harder bosses now awards more reward points for Dominion gloves.
- Dominion gloves now have 15,000 charges, up from 6,000. The degradation will now count down from 100%, instead of counting up from 0%.
- The Dominion gloves stat-reducing effect no longer stacks.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Spellcaster gloves no longer have the chance to work with threshold abilities.
- update 3 November 2014 (Update):
- Dominion gloves have been restored to their former glory. They regained their passive special/stat drain effect in addition to the existing passive extended to all combat damage being reduced with a chance of larger reduction.
- ninja 17 December 2013 (Update):
- Armours no longer degrades from players taking damage from the desert heat or bugs in dark areas.
- patch 11 December 2012 (Update):
- Dominion Tower gloves will now degrade correctly.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- All Dominion Tower gloves are now using the correct coloured particle effects.
- patch 24 April 2012 (Update):.
- The Dominion Tower glove degrade percentages are no longer backwards when checked anywhere between 1% to 99%.
- patch 11 April 2012 (Update):
- Spellcaster gloves now tell players the degradation state in a percentage.
A player activating the old effects of the spellcaster gloves.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, the gloves randomly executed a special attack that does extra damage. When cast on a player, it drained their Attack, Strength, and Defence by 10%. This special attack did not use any of the special attack bar and only triggered when the player cast combat spells.
- During part of the Evolution of Combat beta, they were a two-handed magic weapon with stats similar to a chaotic staff. At this point, the gloves actually went in the weapon slot, and other gloves could be worn underneath but were not visible.
- After the release of the Evolution of Combat, the gloves were given a passive effect, which reflected some of the melee damage the wearer took.
- To counter the gloves' restoration on 3 November 2014, each reward credit now requires 25 boss kills instead of 5 (and dreadnips were given in sets of 500 instead of 100).
- On 9 April 2018, the level 110 requirement to participate in the Dominion Tower was removed therefore allowing them to be obtained at a much lower combat level.