Spellbook Swap is a Lunar and Ancient (after The Light Within) spell which allows the caster to switch to another of their enabled spellbooks for up to 2 minutes or until the player casts a spell from the newly-switched spellbook. For example if a player casts Spellbook Swap (from the Lunar spellbook) and chooses 'standard spellbook', then they have two minutes to select and cast one modern spell once, after which the player is automatically returned to the Lunar spellbook. The chosen spell will still cost the same runes as if the spell was cast normally. Players must keep recasting Spellbook Swap if they intend to repeatedly cast spells in other spellbooks.
The spell can be useful for combining teleport spells from different spellbooks, such as Varrock Teleport, which can only cast with the standard spellbook, or the occasional High Alchemy of valuable slayer monster drops. It also opens the Lunar spellbook to the offensive capabilities from the other types of magic, although with a much reduced frequency.
With a requirement of level 96 Magic (surpassed only by Borrowed Power for highest magic requirement of a spell), this option is available only to high level mages. This spell can be used with the Assist System.
Changing worlds resets the two-minute timer. If you activate this spell on a members world to swap to the standard spellbook and then hop to a free-to-play world, you will be able to cast a spell there.
The update on 24 September 2018 added the option to right-click the spell in the spellbook to swap to other spellbooks directly without the interference of a message box.
This spell is interrupted by combat, although quickly clicking and choosing a spellbook between attacks allows the caster to swap books in combat.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Inconsistencies when using Spellbook Swap from the Lunar and Ancient spellbooks have been resolved.
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- Added new spells to both Lunar and Ancient spellbooks to allow direct casting to a spellbook, e.g. 'Spellbook Swap (Standard)'. The existing Spellbook Swap spell has not been removed.
- Spellbook Swap can now be used off GCD from the action bar.
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- If you cast this spell, then cast Superheat Item (modern spellbook) on jogre bones, you will now be correctly swapped back to the lunar spellbook.
- When cast from the Lunar spellbook to access the Ancient spellbook, casting any non-damaging Seren spells will not cause the spellbook to revert back.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shauny's Twitter account. 25 September 2018. (Archived from the original on 25 September 2018.) Mod Shauny: "This was originally missed in the patch notes so apologies! Yesterday's game update added the ability to right click Spellbook Book swap and select the spellbook you want there, no longer will a message box stop you!"