A spellbook is a list of magic spells available for casting to a player. There are currently four spellbooks: the standard/modern spellbook, the Ancient Magicks spellbook, the Lunar spellbook and the Daemonheim spellbook. A player may only cast spells from their current spellbook, and if they wish to use spells from another spellbook they must change to that spellbook.
It is possible to switch to and from the Ancient Magicks spellbook and Lunar spellbook, without switching back at the former altar. For example, it is possible for players who are on Ancient Magicks to pray at the Astral Altar, where their spellbook will switch to Lunar. If players wish, they may pray again to deactivate the Lunar spellbook and get their spellbooks switched to Modern. Alternatively, players with level 99 magic may use the perk of the magic cape to change to any spellbook at any bank area.
Standard/Modern[edit | edit source]
This spellbook contains the most spells (70), as well as the most types of spells; offensive, skills, enchanting and teleportation. It is also the only spellbook with spells that players with a low Magic level can cast.
Ancient Magicks[edit | edit source]
To change to the Ancient Magicks spellbook, or back from the Ancient Magicks to the standard spellbook, players must enter the Jaldraocht Pyramid in the desert south of Al Kharid and west of Pollnivneach from the rear and pray at the altar. Alternatively, players who have completed Plague's End can use the Elven grimoire found within the Cadarn clan section of Prifddinas to switch between standard spells and Ancients. The Ancient Magicks are considered the most powerful and dangerous spells in Runescape due to their high hits and special capabilities.
Upon the release of The Light Within, several additional Seren-aligned spells were added to the previously Zaros-aligned Ancient Magicks spellbook. These Seren spells range from skilling-related spells such as Crystallise to offensive spells such as Ruby Aurora and some buffing spells such as Prism of Loyalty. Combat-oriented Seren spells generally have teamwork-related effects, and see little use outside of (mostly group) high level PvM. These spells are locked to the player until completion of The Light Within. Additionally, upon completion of The Light Within, the Lunar spell Spellbook Swap becomes accessible from the Ancient Magicks spellbook.
Lunar spells[edit | edit source]
The Lunar spellbook originally contained no offensive spells, but has come to include Polypore Strike and, through Borrowed Power, the Wave spells. However, the majority are defensive, self-help, skill-related and utility spells.
The Lunar spellbook becomes available to a player after completion of the Lunar Diplomacy quest. More Lunar spells can be unlocked after completing Dream Mentor and through the Livid Farm minigame. To change to the Lunar spellbook or back from the Lunar to the standard spellbook, a player must pray at the Astral Altar on the south-east side of Lunar Isle or, if the hard Fremennik Tasks have been completed, at the Elven grimoire found within the Cadarn clan section of Prifddinas.
Daemonheim[edit | edit source]
- See Dungeoneering/Magic for the complete list of spells.
When training Dungeoneering, players gain access to a new spellbook, containing a mixture of spells from the standard spellbook and Lunar spellbook. They also gain access to four new spells; Dungeon Home Teleport, Create Gatestone, Gatestone Teleport and Group Gatestone Teleport, which all aid in teleporting in the dungeon.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Using spells from the spells book will no longer lock the interface from being used on mobile.
- Fixed an issue where some spells and abilities would not activate from the mobile action bar.
- Typo has been fixed, runied now spells ruined.
- update 28 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the spell and ability book filters that was causing the filters to not be toggled on desktop if they were toggled off on mobile.
- Fixed magic book filtering always defaulted to abilities.
- patch 14 September 2015 (Update):
- The duplicated 'cast' option has now been removed from the Magic spellbook.
- patch 6 October 2014 (Update):
- The auto-cast spell selection highlight box has been returned to the spell books.
- hotfix 17 May 2013 (Update):
- Players can no longer autocast a spell too low for their Magic level if they happen to have one set.
- patch 3 January 2013 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where logging into a free world did not correctly restore the standard spellbook.
- patch 3 May 2011 (Update):
- Dungeoneering’s Home teleport and Vengeance spells are now sortable by category on the magic spellbook interface.
- The Cure Me and Cure Group spells no longer state the need for law runes inside Daemonheim.
- update 2 September 2009 (Update):
- Autocasting is now controlled via your spellbook. To set a spell to autocast, simply select a spell, right click it and select the "Autocast" option from the spell icon in your spellbook.
- You can still single-cast spells by selecting the "Cast" option from the spell icon in the spellbook.
- You can still choose whether to receive Defence XP or not when autocasting spells via the new toggle button in the bottom-left corner of your spellbook.
- Four buttons have been added to the bottom of the Magic Spellbook interface that allow you to filter what spell icons are visible. Click on these buttons to toggle the visibility of combat, teleport, skill-based and miscellaneous spells.
References[edit | edit source]