Special mahogany log
|Special mahogany log|
|Release||23 September 2009 (Update)|
|Destroy||You will need to chop down another special log if you destroy this one.|
|High alch||60 coins|
|Low alch||40 coins|
|Someone who specialises in turning logs to planks might be interested in this.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
Special mahogany logs can be obtained while chopping down mahogany trees. They are obtained instead of the normal mahogany logs roughly 2% of the time yielding the same amount of Woodcutting experience as normal mahogany logs when chopped. They cannot be obtained from Managing Miscellania, and cannot be lit for Firemaking experience. Juju woodcutting potions will send these logs directly to the bank. A sign of the porter, however, will not bank these logs.
When a log is cut down, a message appears: You cut down a special mahogany log with an interesting grain pattern.
Talk to Bill in the Workshop in Fort Forinthry, the plank maker in Rimmington, or the sawmill operator in Prifddinas to either:
- Sell them for 1,300 coins each
- Exchange two of them (can be noted) as a payment to convert of all regular teak logs in your backpack into teak planks
Woodcutting[edit | edit source]
|Special mahogany log|
|Woodcutting XP||125 XP|
|Equipment XP||14.75 XP|
Drop rates[edit | edit source]
The estimated chance of cutting a special mahogany log is close to 2%. Being random it is possible to get several per load, or go many loads without any. It appears unlikely that woodcutting level or wearing a strung rabbit foot increases the chance of obtaining a special log, despite claims to the contrary. Using an inferno adze to collect special mahogany logs will decrease the overall yield of special mahogany logs, so a standard hatchet is recommended.
Financial considerations[edit | edit source]
A large part of the financial return on cutting mahogany comes through the conversion of a load of 27 mahogany logs to mahogany planks using two special log notes at the sawmill operator. Mahogany planks are in high demand for the Construction skill.
With an estimated special mahogany log drop rate of 2%, out of every 100 logs you would have two special logs, which gives you 27 mahogany planks and 71 mahogany logs (if you convert 27 mahogany logs with the two special mahogany logs at the sawmill, losing the two special logs). Thus 100 mahogany logs (of which two are special) are worth 123,337 coins, which is an average of 1,233 coins per log. These rates are superior to cutting yew logs which take longer to cut and are sold for 380 coins per log, albeit without the need for trips to the sawmill.
When cutting logs at the hardwood grove and banking with Rionasta using trading sticks, each log takes 10 sticks to bank at a cost of 180 coins per log. Further each entry to the Hardwood grove costs 100 trading sticks. By only carrying trading sticks and wielding a hatchet, 27 logs can be harvested per trip (without a Beast of Burden) at an additional cost of 67 coins per log. Thus the total "tax" per log for trading sticks is 247 coins.
If you have completed Deadliest Catch, then there is a deposit box north-west of the general store that you can freely use, taking the parcel service out of the equation completely.
At level 82 Woodcutting at a fairly brisk rate of entering and exiting the grove and banking with Rionasta one can harvest and bank at least 410 mahogany logs per hour, and at level 93 at least 430 per hour. At level 82, excluding time for sawmill trips, but subtracting out the banking and entry fees at market rates for trading sticks, the return on mahogany log cutting in the hardwood grove comes to 404,548 coins per hour, and 424,282 coins at level 93. This is more profitable than cutting magic logs which produces approximately 63,168 coins per hour at 93 woodcutting.
The occasional bird's nest would increase the hourly return. Higher woodcutting levels would increase the speed of harvesting and hence the hourly return. At a 2% special mahogany log drop rate, the expected return per log is 987 coins, which can be multiplied by one's expected number of logs cut per hour to get an hourly return (excluding time for sawmill trips).
Sawmill trips for plank conversion do take some time, but are well worth the effort. By running 27 mahogany logs with two special notes from the bank chest to the sawmill operator in Prifddinas for conversion, it is easily possible to convert roughly 1,700 mahogany logs to mahogany planks per hour, which is worth 3,264,000 coins, as opposed to selling the logs on the Grand Exchange for 1,711,900 coins, and the requisite 78 special logs to the sawmill operator for 304,200 coins. A pack yak could nearly double this amount.
Alternatively doing this after a trip to the salt-water spa at Oo'glog will allow good number of full speed runs between the bank chest in Clan Camp and the plank maker.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Special mahogany log|
|Disassembly category||Default disassembly items|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
9 January 2023 (
- This item can now be reclaimed upon death.
- This item's Items Kept on Death value was changed to 429 coins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the hardwood grove in Tai Bwo Wannai, if you have at least one special mahogany log and no regular mahogany or teak logs, the game will think that you have no mahogany or teak logs and will therefore prompt you with a warning message.
- Juju woodcutting potions will send these logs direct to the bank, furthermore, the Herblore Habitat itself is a very close teleport destination to two Mahogany trees within the north-east corner of the Kharazi Jungle - the closest Mahogany destination to a teleport location.
- The sawmill wouldn't take special logs in noted form until an update on 14 January 2013.
- When you acquire a special mahogany log while woodcutting, the game displays the message "You cut down a special mahogany log with an interesting grain pattern" as opposed to the regular "You get some mahogany logs."
- It has been noted by some players that it appears as though you are unable to obtain special logs while carrying a woodcutting urn in your inventory, but this is a myth, as it has been tested and special logs were received at roughly the same rate.
- According to the blog post announcing the Fort Forinthry update, the special mahogany logs should be able to be converted at a one-to-one rate into refined Mahogany planks, or into a number of mahogany planks. Currently, this does not work.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Runescape news post. "For 'special log types', these previously allowed the player to convert an entire inventory of logs into planks at the cost of two special logs. Now, they're able to just be processed straight into a Refined Plank of wood type, or processed into x number of base planks"