The Spam filter was released on 27 May 2009 with the Dungeon maps and spam filter update. The filter is accessed through the "Game" tab in the chat interface. It filters out repetitive messages like Jagex claimed that over 2,900 types of messages would be filtered. However, important messages (i.e. such as a warning stating that the player is being burnt by dragonfire) will still appear even if the spam filter is active.
Prior to this update, when a player trained in a particular skill, the "Game" messages window would often fill up with these repeated, unnecessary messages.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- Players are no longer spammed with a warning message if they have boosted their Smithing level to start a project they no longer meet the requirements for.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- The following messages now get filtered:
- The following get shown once and are then filtered for 10 seconds:
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- 'You make some mage armour' message that appears while crafting mage armour in dungeoneering has been added to spam filter.
- ninja 12 February 2018 (Update):
- A handful of lighting fire messages have been added to the spam system.
- Fixed a spam issue with the catching of red salamanders.
- Overhauled various code dealing with the different message types (e.g. friends/spam).
- The Big Chinchompa moth collection messages can now be filtered via the game message toggle on the chat window.
- hotfix 9 October 2017 (Update):
- NovtumberFest random event messages have been added to the game spam filter.
- ninja 15 May 2017 (Update):
- patch 20 March 2017 (Update):
- Unfiltered the message received when acquiring a clue scroll via the Prosper perk.
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- patch 22 August 2016 (Update):
- patch 29 March 2016 (Update):
- The Chronicle Card Collection buff player messages have been added to the spam filter.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Removed a duplicate extra fish message in obscure cases when fishing.
- patch 12 July 2011 (Update):
- The ‘this player is already in a clan’ message, given when recruiting players, is no longer caught by the spam filter.
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- The in-game spam filter now filters the entire fail message when climbing rocks in Trollheim.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- Several Summoning special move messages have been removed from the game’s spam filter.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- Message for climbing ladder out of original Myreque cave has been added to the spam filter.
- patch 28 July 2009 (Update):
- Added some messages in the Rogues' Den to the spam filter and tidied up some code at the same time.