|Release||23 October 2002 (Update)|
|High alch||82 coins|
|Low alch||54 coins|
|Used for powerful curse spells.|
|Exchange||2,236 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The soul rune is the highest level rune in RuneScape. It is used for the strongest curse spells, the teleport-other spells, and the Seren spells in the Ancient Magicks book. They can be crafted at the Soul Altar in Menaphos after completing the quest 'Phite Club with a level of 90 Runecrafting. Alternatively, they have a chance to be crafted when using the Ourania Runecrafting Altar (which has no level requirement). They can also be bought from the Magic Guild in Yanille, Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid (via the Rogue Trader miniquest), or Baba Yaga, who lives in the walking house, on Lunar Isle.
The mechanics of crafting soul runes vastly differ from the standard runecrafting process. The altar must first be charged with pure essence by putting pure essence into the 'charger'. Four essences generate one charge and give 10 Runecrafting experience. 1.25 charges create 3 soul runes. This means it takes 5 essences to make 3 soul runes. The experience gained is 220 per charge or 91.7 per soul rune crafted.
The 'Charger' has capacity of 100 essences, after which they must be converted into charges; and the altar can hold up to 100 charges, after which they must be crafted as runes.
To maximise the experience gained, the 250% bonus experience of abyss rune crafting (thus the Demonic Skull too) is applicable to the rune crafting step. A maximum of [91.7 per soul * 240] = 22,000 further multiplied by 2.5 = 55,000 experience can be gained by binding a fully charged altar into at least 240 soul runes.
|Grand Exchange rune|
average price comparison
Spells[edit | edit source]
Only members can cast these spells:
Removed spells[edit | edit source]
|Miasmic Barrage (historical)||97||444||Ancient||Combat|
Products[edit | edit source]
|Carrallanger teleport (item)||4,196|
|Dragon bolts (e) × 10||3,120|
|Dragonstone bakriminel bolts (e) × 10||19,160|
|Mazcab teleport (item)||10,444|
|Senntisten teleport (item)||4,565|
| Vulnerability bomb|
(Improved +1 recipe)
| Vulnerability bomb|
(Improved +2 recipe)
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Ali's Discount Wares||Al Kharid||410||Coins||100|
|Baba Yaga's Magic Shop||Lunar Isle||410||Coins||100|
|Magic Guild Store - Runes and Staves||Wizards' Guild||410||Coins||100|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Runes and talismans|
|Item quantity required||50|
|Base junk chance||0.0%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 14 March 2022 (Update):
- Soul Rune production has been increased to give triple the amount of Runes per charge than previously. XP remains unaffected.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- The soul runes entry has been removed from the Invention skill guide and added to Runecrafting skill guide.
- patch 15 February 2011 (Update):
- Blood Barrage no longer takes an additional soul rune in PvP combat.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before the release of Menaphos on 5 June 2017, soul runes were the only conventional type of rune that could not be crafted using a normal Runecrafting altar. The only way to craft soul runes was by using the Ourania Runecrafting Altar.
- Upon release of the Soul Altar, soul runes were mistakenly listed as requiring level 90 Invention to craft, instead of level 90 Runecrafting.