Soul obelisk (Menaphos)
|Release||5 June 2017 (Update)|
• Check progress
|Examine||Contains the energy of countless trapped souls.|
|doc • Talk page|
Soul obelisks may appear in Menaphos periodically. They can be interacted with to gain a large amount of Reputation, Runecrafting, and Prayer experience at the cost of receiving some damage over time. If the player does not have level 50 Prayer, no prayer experience will be awarded, and they will instead gain double the Runecrafting experience.
Soul obelisks provide 85 base reputation every 4.8 seconds, equivalent to a little over 1,020 reputation per minute. This means that interacting with an obelisk for the entirety of its duration would provide 7,905 reputation.
Background[edit | edit source]
After a teaser for the Magister, the obelisks started spawning in Menaphos and will remain in the game for the foreseeable future. It is unclear whether or not this soul obelisk is the same as the one found at Soul Wars, which was built by Oreb's pupil, Nomad.
Locations[edit | edit source]
|West of the entrance to Shifting Tombs in the Merchant district|
|East of the entrance to the grand library in the Imperial district|
|On the west side of the Port district|
|South-east of the mines in the Worker district|
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
- Only one obelisk may spawn per world at any time, in one of four locations.
- Each soul obelisk lasts 7 minutes and 30 seconds before despawning.
- When an obelisk spawns in a world, there is a game message:
Limitations[edit | edit source]
Soul obelisks award reputation and experience up to 236 interactions per day. The base reputation from soul obelisks is 20,060, increasing by 5,015 for every Menaphos quest you do. There are 4 Menaphos quests, which are:
Since you cannot gain reputation at all until you complete the Jack of Spades quest, the minimum reputation one can achieve is actually 25,075. It also follows that the maximum reputation one can achieve is 40,120. With the 10% increase from Unexpected Diplomacy, this is increased to 44,132. Using both Unexpected Diplomacy and the Feast of Amascut commune from the Desert pantheon aura, this is increased to 48,144.
The awarded experience scales with the player's Runecrafting and Prayer levels, yielding 11 Prayer experience and 18 Runecrafting experience at level 50, up to 86 Prayer experience and 137.6 Runecrafting experience per drop at level 99. At Prayer levels under 50, no prayer experience will be awarded, and instead Runecrafting experience is doubled.
Attempting to interact with an obelisk after reaching the cap prompts the following message: "Your soul has been weakened too much by the soul obelisk. You cannot attempt to hold back the soul obelisks any more today." This limit is reset at 00:00 UTC each day.
Experience[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Players should bring food to heal when needed while interacting with the obelisk. To heal without interrupting the obelisk interaction, players can put food on their action bar and then press the appropriate key. Expensive spices will increase the effectiveness of food. An Enhanced Excalibur will also grant life points while only taking up one inventory space. Wielding the Enhanced Excalibur will grant the same benefit without taking up any inventory space.
- It is possible to not interrupt the channel by clicking the obelisk again as soon as you receive damage. Healing will be received instantaneously for returning to the realm of the living which can negate the majority of the damage taken if done well, potentially not even needing food for the duration of the obelisk (particularly with an Enhanced Excalibur). This, however, results in a tick longer between gaining reputation/xp. The lowered time spent healing by visiting a bank can significantly increase the experience/reputation gained from each obelisk.
- District bank chests, unlocked at Tier 6 for each district, can be used to heal as an alternative to food. However, the Port district bank chest is too far away to be of any benefit. In that case, use the Shifting Tombs to travel to the bank in the Merchant District or, if unlocked (at tier 6 Imperial District), the bank in the Imperial District.
- Players can right-click the entrances to Shifting Tombs in order to quickly travel between districts in Menaphos. This is useful for locating obelisks, and going to the available bank and Grand Exchange in the Merchant district.
- Beware that the damage from the Soul Obelisk does not activate a portent of restoration, phoenix necklace, or ring of life. A sign of life does get activated, preventing death, and interrupts the channelling so that no more damage is received.
- Players who die will visit Death to reclaim their items, or respawn in the Menaphos Plaza. Players who expect to die should bank valuable items prior to going to the obelisk.
- Prayers are deactivated upon interacting with the Soul Obelisk, thus making Redemption useless for recovering health.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 June 2018 (Update):
- Soul obelisks and corrupted scarabs now spawn at double the rate, until 4 July 2018.
- patch 3 July 2017 (Update):
- The Soul Obelisk demands your full attention. Duels will now be cancelled while interacting with it. Previously participating in a duel with another player would heal the player instantly when initiated. It is not possible anymore to duel while interacting with the soul obelisk.
References[edit | edit source]
|Menaphite gift offering|