||19 May 2014 (Update)
||45 seconds (75 ticks)
|Tendrils of smoke whip at the target's feet.
- 115%-575% total ability damage to the target over 6s in 4 hits.
- 35%-175% total ability damage to you over 6s in 3 hits.
- Each hit from this ability is treated as a critical strike.
- Channeled attack.
|Infobox • Talk page
Smoke Tendrils is a threshold Magic ability, requiring level 75 Magic to use. Smoke Tendrils, along with Shadow Tendrils, Blood Tendrils, and Ice Asylum, is learned by reading the Codex Ultimatus, which is obtained by talking to Terry Balando after The Dig Site quest.
When used, the player is bound in place (as with Shadow Tendrils) and performs four attacks in a span of six seconds, which deal 115-575% ability damage to the target and 35-175% of it back at the player. This rebounded damage is unaffected by damage-modifying effects.
- The first hit deals 20-100% ability damage and does not rebound anything at the user.
- The second hit deals 25-125% ability damage and rebounds 20% of that at the user.
- The third hit deals 30-150% ability damage and rebounds 33% of that to the user.
- The fourth and final hit deals 40-200% ability damage and rebounds 50% of that to the user.
It is not particularly useful in most mage rotations as Asphyxiate, another channelled threshold, deals more damage, can stun applicable targets and does not damage the player for any damage it inflicts. The only advantage that Smoke Tendrils has is that it always lands as critical hits making it useful for Tsunami's critical adrenaline buff and the fractured staff of Armadyl's special attack, Instability.
If the player is intending to use this ability, they may only use the first two hits, dealing 45-225% ability damage over two hits with only 20% of the second hit rebounded at them. This is slightly stronger than Deep Impact on average if it is not boosted via Flanking.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
- ninja 14 March 2022 (Update):
- Changes to ensure critical strike functionality is part of the Smoke Tendrils ability itself, rather than a bug:
- Damage is now calculated in a more standardised way.
- It will no longer give adrenaline twice per hit when affected by the Tsunami ability.
- It will be affected by both the Precise and Equilibrium invention perks.
- It will give a critical strike on each hit reliably.
- The damage inflicted on the player is now calculated separately from the damage dealt.
- A critical strike that increases the damage into the top 95% can still occur through the Biting Invention perk and other bonuses.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Smoke Tendrils no longer require the target to stay still.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Smoke Tendrils will no longer display when the abilities filter is toggled if the ability is not unlocked.
- patch 6 October 2014 (Update):
- Smoke Tendrils is now correctly listed as a members ability in the Magic Skill Advance Guide.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- Smoke tendrils will no longer deal maximum damage with every hit.
- Historically, each hit of Smoke Tendrils was classified as a critical hit regardless of the amount of damage they actually dealt. This meant that they benefited from Tsunami's effect that causes each critical hit to generate 10% additional adrenaline. Thus, if all four hits of Smoke Tendrils connect, using this ability would generate 40% adrenaline after use. Because of this, Smoke Tendrils could be used to build up adrenaline after using Tsunami.