Smelting gauntlets are a pair of members-only gloves that are available after completing the Family Crest quest. When worn, smelted bars go straight to the metal bank. The gauntlets also allow the player to smelt up to 60 bars at a time directly into their metal bank using the Make-X interface instead of 28 which would be deposited into the inventory. When worn inside Artisans' Workshop, casting Superheat Item uses ores from the metal bank and deposits the resulting bar there automatically. The gauntlets grants the wearer the same 1% experience boost as the blacksmith's gloves, and also count towards the set bonus. They will also count towards the set bonus of the magic golem outfit.
The smelting gauntlets can be obtained by right-clicking chaos or cooking gauntlets and choosing "Switch." The player can then select the smelting enchanted version from a menu. Switching enchanted gauntlets in this manner will cost 25,000 coins. Players are able to obtain one of each type of gauntlet by speaking to the respective brother and paying them 1,000,000 coins after speaking first with Dimintheis in order to unlock the appropriate dialog option.
If the gauntlets are destroyed or lost due to death, they may be re-obtained free of charge from Dimintheis in south-east Varrock and will retain the previous enchantment. If the gloves were obtained before the rework, the player would have to destroy them and reclaim them from Dimintheis.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Swapping between the different enchantments for the gauntlets awarded from the "Family crest" quest, can no longer cause the game to crash.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- Using Superheat Item now works as expected with smelting gauntlets.
- Players can once again use smelting gauntlets to make 60 of Masterwork Alloy bars.
- patch 7 July 2014 (Update):
- Players should no longer be told they have multiple pairs of cooking or smithing gauntlets.
- ninja 17 December 2013 (Update):
- Family Crest gauntlets can now be changed by using a right-click option on the relevant NPCs.
- Dimintheis still refers to them as goldsmithing gauntlets in the dialogue to reclaim them.