Slayer masks are Slayer equipment that can be won from Treasure Hunter, purchased from the Shattered Worlds reward shop, or purchased from Vic the trader. They provide several bonuses for players looking to train their Slayer skill, including extra experience, extra damage, and double drops every tenth kill. The mask can also teleport the player twice a day to the relevant monster's locations.
Slayer masks were released in two "waves"; the first set of helms allows a player to force a Slayer task of that creature once a day, and the second every three days. Using "Check Kills" on masks and helms with three-day cooldowns will display the time left until the task can be forced again.
Every creature killed while the mask is worn is tallied. Each mask has a set amount of kills assigned to it that, once reached, "uses up" some of the bonuses. At this point, the mask turns into a Slayer helm. The helm has similar benefits, but does not provide extra experience, extra damage, or double drops. The specific number of kills before a mask turn into a helm depends on the specific mask. The kill count continues to be tracked beyond this point, up to 999,999 kills.
A right-click option announces total kills of that creature. The announcement of total kills is seen in the chat bar and above your character by those around you. If the helm has yet to be unlocked, there’s also a message to say how many more kills are needed to do so.
After the helm version has been unlocked, the player is free to switch between it and the mask version, as a cosmetic preference only – this does not restore the extra effects of the mask. A Spirit of Battle is the only way to reset a helm back to a mask and re-enable the mask's benefits.
If attempting to use a slayer mask for a blocked task, the game will inform you of this and ask you to confirm you want it anyway. However, if you attempt to use the Mask of the Aquanites at Kuradal or Morvran while aquanites are toggled off in the Slayer Master rewards menu, the Slayer Master will automatically give you a random task without confirming you wanted one. This problem does not occur when seeking an assignment from Sumona, Duradel, or Lapalok, as they assign them normally, without having to toggle the assignment.
||Two free daily teleports to the relevant monster's locations.
|Slayer damage boost
||Identical to the Slayer helm (on assignments only)
||Killing a creature while wearing this mask will grant additional Slayer XP equivalent to the Slayer level required to fight them. This is given regardless of the current assignment the player has and in addition to assignment and/or contract xp. The XP awarded by the mask can be boosted by items.
||Every 10th kill
||The odds of receiving a trophy item drop are doubled for the respective creature.
||Every creature killed is tallied, while the mask is worn. Each mask has a set amount of kills assigned to it that, once reached, "uses up" the Slayer XP and double drops effects, and turns the mask into a helm. The kill count continues to be tracked beyond this point, up to 1,048,575 on the item's tooltip. However, only up to 999,999 can be displayed to others with the "check kills" option.
||A right-click option outputs total kills of that creature. If the helm has yet to be unlocked, there’s also a message to say how many more kills are needed to do so.
||After the helm version has been unlocked, the player is free to switch between it and the mask version - only cosmetic effect – this does not restore the Slayer XP and double drop effects to the mask.
||Every mask will act as the required face protection to kill their respective creatures.
- ^ a b c This cooldown is shared with the other wyrms.
- ^ a b c Not confirmed.
- ^ a b c This Slayer Master can only give this assignment if it is toggled on in the Slayer Master rewards menu.
- ^ Must also be in possession of a Fire or Kiln cape, unless the Slayer perk has been purchased that specifies otherwise.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 15 July 2019 (Update):
- Slayer masks now correctly assign tasks when getting a task from Laniakea.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- Improved messaging when not having met the requirements to force a task with a slayer mask.
- patch 3 July 2017 (Update):
- Blocked tasks can now be given by a slayer master when the slayer mask for that type of creature is used.
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- Players are now able to check when they're next eligible to force a slayer task with a slayer mask. This can be done via the 'Check kills' option on all masks with a 3 day cooldown.
- patch 23 November 2015 (Update):
- All Treasure Hunter Slayer masks are now hybrid class.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- Silverhawk boots, slayer masks and slayer helms are now left-click to equip.
- ninja 24 November 2014 (Update):
- The left-click option on slayer masks is now 'Wear'.
- patch 4 February 2014 (Update):
- Additional checks have been added to various slayer masks to ensure that cannons cannot be taken into the Chaos Tunnels.
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- Players attempting to force a slayer assignment with a mask will now be given a message in chat if they don't have the requirements for that assignment.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Particles from player armour will no longer appear when using slayer mask ‘transform’ actions.
- Additional checks have been added to the Slayer masks to ensure that cannons cannot be taken into the Chaos Tunnels.
- After declining a Slayer challenge, players can now force a Slayer task using their Slayer masks.
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- When asking the wrong slayer master for a guaranteed task whilst wearing a slayer mask, there is now an option to take their task or that of a different slayer master.