A cape (formerly skillcape) emote can be performed when the player is wearing a Cape of Accomplishment or Cape of Distinction, with the exception of the milestone capes. The emote is related to the skill of the cape the player is wearing. For example, the Defence cape skillcape emote shows a player defending themselves from different threats. The emotes can also be performed by right-clicking an equipped cape and selecting "Emote".
Each cape of accomplishment and distinction has a different emote. It does not matter if the cape is trimmed or not; the emote is always the same. The only exception to this is the completionist cape, which has a slightly different emote when trimmed. Additionally, skills which can be trained to level 120 have a different emote for the regular skillcape and the master skillcape. The cape emotes can be performed on free-to-play worlds, as long as an appropriate cape has already been equipped before leaving a members-only world.
As of 28 October 2008, performing the cape emote also plays a short sound effect which fits with the actions of the emote. For example, when activating the Prayer cape emote, one can hear the wings of the Prayer cape flapping. Unlike the emotes, however, the sounds can only be heard by the person performing the emote.
The Dungeoneering cape has three different emotes: one with Magic armour, one with Melee armour, and one with Ranged armour.
On 25 May 2010, Jagex updated the skillcape emotes to look much smoother by "tweening" them and adding particle effects to them, as well as revamping several with a newer animation.
On 3 May 2011, with the Capes of Distinction update, four new capes with corresponding emotes were added: the veteran, classic, max, and completionist capes.
A cape for each clan in Prifddinas was released with the city on 22 September 2014, along with one made by combining all of the individual clan capes. The new capes were the Amlodd, Cadarn, Crwys, Hefin, Iorwerth, Ithell, Meilyr, Trahaearn, and Master clan capes (which can perform all eight emotes).
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 3 July 2013 (Update):
- The flowers on the farming skillcape emote no longer clip through the players face.
- patch 6 October 2010 (Update):
- Stopped skillcape emote animations from continuing while teleporting.
- update 28 October 2008 (Update):
- A large number of sound effects and changes to sound effects have been added, especially to capes and the skillcape emotes.
- On 19 March 2010, a player-submitted poll asked the community what their favourite skillcape emote was. The Prayer skillcape emote was chosen by a 20% majority (9,431 votes out of 46,932).