Skaldrun is an immortal cursed storyteller from the Fourth Age, recently rescued from Daemonheim by the player. He tells stories in a mix of questing and Dungeoneering, called Fremennik Sagas. The player is able to find him by entering the Frozen floors in dungeoneering, with at least complexity 2 activated. They will find him frozen in ice as a Frozen figure, and will be required to unfreeze him. Some wood or runes for any fire spell is needed to do so.
After you unfreeze Skaldrun, you can find him again at the camp. He is west of the Rewards Trader and Thok of Daemonheim. You will find him north of the fire.
Players can't start sagas when they are in a Dungeoneering party. Skaldrun would say "You appear to be waiting to enter Daemonheim currently to craft your own stories. Come back once you're done." Players can't start sagas either if they are under the effect of Overload.
In the sagas, the Signature Heroes Ariane, Ozan and Sir Owen appear in the game for the first time. The sagas have various skill requirements, but if the player doesn't have these skills, it is still possible to play an abridged version of it. In that version, only a small part of the reward and the storyline will be given, but as the sagas are replayable, it is still possible to come back with the full requirements and get the full reward and storyline.
When you talk to him at the camp he says that he remembers chronicling life in Daemonheim for someone. He mentions a collection of journals, being torn apart and scattered across the dungeon. He can't remember exactly for whom he did this, he thinks he did it for "a man".
A player unfreezing Skaldrun by lighting a fire.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 16 January 2012 (Update):
- Skaldrun will no longer spawn in Dungeoneering in a place that makes a portion of the room unreachable.
- patch 4 October 2011 (Update):
- Players will no longer be disconnected under certain circumstances when Skaldrun appears in Daemonheim.
- patch 14 June 2011 (Update):
- A missing chathead animation in some Skaldrun dialogue has been fixed.
- The fire that melts Skaldrun out of the block of ice no longer appears before it's lit.
- A "Skald" is a type of ancient Viking poet who wrote and recited legendary or heroic poetry (known as "skaldic poetry") of figures such as kings and gods.
- The frozen Skaldrun makes a cameo appearance in Thok It To 'Em (saga), in which Thok sees the strange block of ice but decides that it "no interest Thok", and so leaves it alone.