Sir Vey Lance is the head of operations within the Temple Knights. According to Sir Tiffy Cashien, Sir Vey Lance claims that their orders come directly from Saradomin, and that everything that Sir Vey Lance tells them to do is done with Saradomin's implicit permission. In actuality Sir Vey Lance was a Zarosian Chthonian demon named Veilinius, who had taken on the guise (it is unknown, if he has gone under other identities) to lead the Temple Knights since its founding in the Third Age. During Azzanadra's Quest his true nature and Zarosian loyalty is revealed, that he had secretly imposed Zarosian beliefs on initiated Temple Knights.
After the adventurer completed the trials required to join the Temple Knights, their performance was personally evaluated by Sir Vey, though this is not explicitly shown. Due to a decree that only allows White Knights to join the order, Sir Vey and Sir Tiffy came up with a way to bypass the rule. Sir Tiffy sent word to Sir Amik Varze, leader of the White Knights, that Solus Dellagar, a powerful mage and mass-murderer, had returned to Asgarnia from his permanent exile, and that he should send all available White Knights to confront him. This would disturb Sir Amik enough to deputise the adventurer as a White Knight.
His role as conduit for the god's orders used to be more important before the assassination of Guthix, but, since Guthix's death removed his Edicts which had prevented gods such as Saradomin from directly interfering with Gielinor, he no longer seems to fulfil this, although his other functions presumably remain. For instance, Saradomin contacted Sir Amik Varze and, indirectly, Sir Owen during the Battle of Lumbridge to infiltrate the Black Knights' Fortress, rather than Sir Vey.
The Ancient Truth unveiled[edit | edit source]
During Azzanadra's Quest the World Guardian is set on some apparently pointless task trying to uncover information about the Elder Gods, this turned out to be a ruse, as their travel companion, the Mahjarrat Trindine abused their credibility to steal information about the Crown Archival. Trindine then went with Sir Owen to locate Sir Vey Lance, who revealed his true form as a Cthonian demon, revealing that he had "sworn" loyalty to Saradomin and acted as the leader of the Saradominist Temple Knights ever since, although it was all a cover to promote Zaros' agenda. He revealed that he had used his position to act revenge on the Zamorakians during the God Wars and indoctrinated the highest ranking Temple Knights to be loyal to Zaros. He also revealed that he supposedly was involved in the disposal of King Vallance, the king of Asgarnia, and that to pass the time he had insterted puns into the names of Asgarnian nobility. A confused and shocked Sir Owen was offered to join the Zarosian cause, but was knocked unconscious, when he refused. Shortly after Sir Vey Lance sent his Temple Knights to a ceremony at the White Knights' Castle, where Saradomin intended to address his knightly orders. The Temple Knights revealed their true colours and attack the White Knights, while Zaros stole the Crown Archival from Saradomin. With the truth unveiled the role of Sir Vey Lance had played its part.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- update 22 February 2021 (Update):
- Sir Vey Lance finally appears in game.
- Sir Vey Lance is a play on the word "surveillance". When his name is shortened, it also becomes a play on the word "survey".
- ^ Sir Tiffy Cashien, "Recruitment Drive", RuneScape. "No man controls us, for our orders come directly from Saradomin himself! According to Sir Vey Lance, our head of operations, that is. He claims that everything he tells us to do is done with Saradomin's implicit permission."
- ^ Sir Tiffy Cashien, "Wanted!", RuneScape. "Oh, jolly well done! Your performance will need to be evaluated by Sir Vey personally, but I don't think it's going too far ahead of myself to welcome you to the team!"
- ^ Sir Tiffy Cashien, "Wanted!", RuneScape. "Only members of the White Knights may join the Temple Knights. By ancient decree, dontchaknow. [...] I had a bit of a chat with Sir Vey and we came up with... a different solution to the problem."
- ^ Sir Tiffy Cashien, "Wanted!", RuneScape. "I have sent word to Amik that a dangerous criminal we once thought exiled is on the loose again, and that he should send all available White Knights to confront him. This should give him enough of a scare to deputise you immediately."
- ^ Mod Stu. "The Death of Chivalry." 8 August 2013. Future Game Updates Forums.