|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Quest item||Demon Slayer|
|Destroy||You can obtain it from Gideon Bede in the Saradominist church in north-east Varrock. You can also reclaim it from the quest storage chest.|
|The magical sword Silverlight. (Demon Slayer)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Silverlight is a magical sword used during the Demon Slayer quest, and can be kept afterwards. This weapon cannot be made by players using the Smithing skill. If Silverlight is lost during or after the quest, it can be reclaimed from Gideon Bede in the church north of the Varrock Museum for free. It can be sold to the Wise Old Man for 80 coins.
Silverlight is dyed black during the course of the Shadow of the Storm quest to make Silverlight (dyed), and later becomes Darklight after killing the demon Agrith Naar. Silverlight (but not dyed Silverlight) can be mounted on the wall of a quest hall in a player-owned house.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Effects[edit | edit source]
Silverlight is an extremely weak weapon when fighting non-demon monsters, with damage and accuracy equal to a Bronze longsword. However, when using the sword to fight most varieties of demon, it will gain a large accuracy increase (enough to accurately hit mid-level demons resistant to melee). It also increases ability damage by a scaling 25-124% (a 1.25×-2.24× multiplier), based on your base Attack and Strength, and the monster's base Defence; this applies to your total ability damage, including off-hand weapons, equipment, and boosts. With auto attacks, 100% is added regardless.
The increase is given by
- is your Attack level, before temporary boosts
- is your Strength level, before temporary boosts
- is your target's Defence level
After Dimension of Disaster, Silverlight can be upgraded to cause more damage to demons, as well as be able to smash gargoyles if the quicker killing blows Slayer ability has been unlocked. The upgrade can be bought for five silver pennies in Aris's Dimension of Disaster reward shop. The upgraded darklight will:
- Add 35% rather than 25% to base hit chance against demons
- Add between 50% to 149% rather than between 25% to 124% extra damage against demons if using abilities. Upgrade scaling formula is 1.5 + ((Attack+Strength)/2-EnemyDefence*2)*0.01
- Add 150% rather than 100% extra damage against demons if using auto-attacks
Monsters affected[edit | edit source]
The following creatures will take increased damage from Silverlight:
Silverlight does not affect the following:
Products[edit | edit source]
| Silverlight (mounted)|
History[edit | edit source]
Silverlight appears to have been forged in the early Fifth Age, as according to Varrock Museum's display case for Silverlight, it is "a striking example of early 5th Age weapon-smithing". Despite its name indicating that the weapon contains silver, Varrock Museum's display describes Silverlight as a steel sword that has been enchanted to make it powerful against demons. Delrith's dialogue in Dimension of Disaster suggests that the sword's name derives from its silver colour, rather than it being literally being made of silver. However, Vampyre Juvinates can be harmed by Silverlight as if it were a silver weapon, making the sword's true composition a mystery.
According to Guthix in Issue 16 of the God letters, he endowed Silverlight with his power, and states to have offered the sword as assistance against Delrith. Guthix goes to allude in Issue 19 that he imbued Silverlight with his power as an indirect intervention in order to prevent a being as powerful as Delrith from trying and forcing himself upon Gielinor.
According to 'The Tales of Wally', a book written by Wally's son Waldo, Silverlight originally belonged to an unknown warrior, who was killed by a moss giant in the site of modern Varrock Sewers while attempting to flee through the hole in the wall Wally had mined. When the warrior had thrown his sword through the hole and begun to widen it before he was crushed to death by the giant's club, Wally had grabbed Silverlight, and afraid of the moss giants, run back home in fear of his life with the sword in his hand. When Waldo recounts Wally's fight with Delrith, he notes that the sword shimmered in his father's hand, and that Wally dodged Delrith's attacks "as if the sword was directing his movement with a grace that never returned". However, as 'The Tales of Wally' is criticized by Reldo of being "full of exaggerations and embellishments", "unreliable", and "often wrong", the validity of the information Waldo presents about Silverlight's past cannot be confirmed.
At some point after Wally's defeat of Delrith, Silverlight was placed in a crypt below the church in the North-east of Varrock, guarded by the spirits of those who had wielded Silverlight: the Spirit of the Body, the Spirit of Faith, and Spirit of the Mind. Each guardian's trial is meant to demonstrate a quality the sword's user needs to have in order to be trusted with the sword: to have the strength to properly wield Silverlight and prevent it from being seized with strength, to have the faith in the power of the gods to guide the sword's wielder as the sword would be powerless without faith, and to be focused on one's task and understanding what lies ahead.
Silverlight eventually grew famous enough to be featured in songs. By the summer of 165, songs were performed throughout Misthalin, from Lumbridge to the Wilderness border.
Both Gideon Bede and Wally's descendant Sir Ehntor Prysin tried to obtain the sword, but were judged unworthy to use the sword by the three spirits. Gideon attributes his failure to obtain the sword to being a mere academic, while the dialogue of the Spirit of the Mind in Dimension of Disaster suggests that Sir Prysin was denied access to his ancestor's sword due to the spirits deeming him a "vainglorious buffoon".
When Lucien succeeding in summoning tormented demons for the first time, Movario, greatly fearful of their unnatural power, intended to seek out Silverlight in the event Lucien would set them on him, having come to the conclusion that as tormented demons seem to possess some sort of magical defence, regular weapons would only be marginally useful against them. Silverlight is also referred to in the Binding book as "legendary", suggesting that the sword was famous when the book was written.
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Detailed[edit | edit source]
Equipped[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 1 February 2010 (Update):
- Silverlight’s model in the POH display case has been updated to reflect the new version.
- patch 21 December 2009 (Update):
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Improved the lighting effects around Silverlight in its case during Demon Slayer.
- patch 28 April 2009 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Silverlight can be traded on RuneScape Classic.
- Silverlight can be easily re-obtained from Gideon Bede, even after completing Shadow of the Storm, or from May's Quest Caravan after putting 150 quest points towards the Hub Track.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight was sold in the Legends' Guild. This was the only way to re-obtain it at that time, and due to complaints about this, Silverlight was removed from the Legends' Guild and it was obtained from Sir Prysin but since Demon Slayer was updated it can now be retrieved from Gideon Bede.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight will weaken a demon if it is used on the first hit.
- Silverlight was graphically updated on 15 December 2009. Black Silverlight and its upgraded counterpart Darklight was updated along with the release of the 2009 Christmas event.
- The Silverlight copy in Varrock museum did not change in the graphic update, it still had the look of the old Silverlight. This has been fixed.
- Originally you could own more than 1 Silverlight at a time, by doing the drop trick from Sir Prysin in exchange for 500 coins at a time, However this was changed when the Demon Slayer quest was updated and Players could retrieve Silverlight from Gideon Bede. It is now impossible to do the drop trick since Silverlight now has a "Destroy" option instead of a "Drop" option.
- Due to the Demon Slayer rework, it is now possible for players who completed the original version to have two Silverlights.
- If you have two Silverlights in your inventory and use black mushroom ink on one, then both Silverlights will disappear, but only one Darklight will be produced.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Official Jagex YouTube Channel. RuneScape Patch Notes #63. YouTube.com. 23 March 2015.*
- ^ ImRubic. TL;DW 171 - Q&A + GWD2 reaction!. reddit.com. 29 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 3 June 2021.)
- ^ Transcript:Display case (number 25), "Varrock Museum", RuneScape. "A striking example of early 5th Age weapon-smithing, this steel sword has been magically treated to make it especially powerful against demons. It originally belonged to a warrior who defended Varrock from the demon Delrith, and was recently used to drive off the very same demon once again."
- ^ Delrith, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "*sigh* That's not Silverlight - It's the wrong colour. SILVERlight - the clue's in the name. If anything that sword is...er ...Blacklight."
- ^ Jagex. "God Letter 16 - Guthix Dispels Rumours, 20" (Archived from the original.) RuneScape God Letters.
- ^ Jagex. "God Letter 19 - Guthix Embraces Change, 5" (Archived from the original.) RuneScape God Letters.
- ^ Gideon Bede, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Delrith is an ancient and powerful demon. This is not the first time he has entered our world. 150 years ago, a legendary hero battled Delrith, and banished him back to Infernus."
- ^ Outpost display case, "Making History", RuneScape. "Inside the case are three items, the first is a helmet, and its card reads: 'The helm worn by Wally in his defeat of Delrith the Demon 150 years ago.'"
- ^ Jagex. "Eulogy for a Forgotten Hero." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ Gideon Bede, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Silverlight rests in the crypt below this very church, watched over by the spirits of its former owners."
- ^ Spirit of the Body, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "The Trial of the Body will show you have the strength to properly wield Silverlight. A powerful weapon can easily be wrested from weak arms."
- ^ Spirit of Faith, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "The Trial of Faith demonstrates that you believe in the power of the gods to guide you. Without faith, Silverlight will be powerless in your hands."
- ^ Spirit of the Mind, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "The Trial of the Mind will prove that you are focused on your task, and understand what lies ahead of you. You cannot be trusted with Silverlight if your mind is clouded."
- ^ T.S. Church. Return to Canifis. Titan Books, 2011. "It is a sword famed in song from the dales of Lumbridge to The Wilderness sentries"
- ^ Gideon Bede, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "I tried, but the holy sword is guarded by the spirits of the dead - three brave souls that wielded Silverlight in life. I faced the spirits' trials, but was judged unworthy. I am but an academic. I cannot stop Denath without your help, hero."
- ^ Sir Prysin, "Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "I once sought to claim Silverlight. The spirits cared not for my inheritance, and judged my worth. I was found wanting."
- ^ Spirit of the Mind, "Dimension of Disaster: Demon Slayer", RuneScape. "Ha! As if we'd ever let that vainglorious buffoon near it. We had to keep giving him ridiculously difficult tasks until he gave up trying."
- ^ Movario's notes (volume 1), written by Movario, "While Guthix Sleeps", RuneScape. "I should prepare, before my next meeting with Lucien, and seek out Silverlight in case he sets one of those foul, tormented demons loose upon me. As I sit here now and contemplate a fight against such aberrations of nature, such manifest evil, I conspire to work out a means of victory. The gods know I stand little chance of besting them, these abhorrent demons of pain. I fear that normal weapons will be only marginally useful, as the creature seemed to possess some sort of magical defence."
- ^ Binding book, "Legends' Quest", RuneScape. "Legendary Silverlight will help to defeat any demon by weakening it."
Main hand slash weapons
|Dyed drygore longswords|
|Dyed Dark Shard of Lengs|