|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Quest item||Demon Slayer|
|Destroy||You can obtain it from Gideon Bede in the Saradominist church in north-east Varrock. You can also reclaim it from the quest storage chest.|
|The magical sword Silverlight. (Demon Slayer)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Silverlight is a magical sword used during the Demon Slayer quest, and can be kept afterwards. This weapon cannot be made by players using the Smithing skill. If Silverlight is lost during or after the quest, it can be reclaimed from Gideon Bede in the church north of the Varrock Museum for free. It can be sold to the Wise Old Man for 80 coins.
Silverlight is dyed black during the course of the Shadow of the Storm quest to make Silverlight (dyed), and later becomes Darklight after killing the demon Agrith-Naar. Silverlight (but not dyed Silverlight) can be mounted on the wall of a Quest Hall in a player-owned house.
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Effects[edit | edit source]
Silverlight is an extremely weak weapon when fighting non-demon monsters, with damage and accuracy equal to a Bronze longsword. However, when using the sword to fight most varieties of demon, it will gain a large accuracy increase (enough to accurately hit mid-level demons resistant to melee). It also increases ability damage by a scaling 25-124% (a 1.25×-2.24× multiplier), based on your base Attack and Strength, and the monster's base Defence; this applies to your total ability damage, including off-hand weapons, equipment, and boosts. With auto attacks, 100% is added regardless.
The increase is given by
- is your Attack level, before temporary boosts
- is your Strength level, before temporary boosts
- is your target's Defence level
After Dimension of Disaster, Silverlight can be upgraded to cause more damage to demons, as well as be able to smash gargoyles if the quicker killing blows Slayer ability has been unlocked. The upgrade can be bought for five silver pennies in Aris's Dimension of Disaster reward shop. The upgraded darklight will:
- Add 30% rather than 20% to base hit chance against demons
- Add between 50% to 149% rather than between 25% to 124% extra damage against demons if using abilities. Upgrade scaling formula is 1.5 + ((Attack+Strength)/2-EnemyDefence*2)*0.01
- Add 150% rather than 100% extra damage against demons if using auto-attacks
Monsters affected[edit | edit source]
The following creatures will take increased damage from Silverlight:
Silverlight does not affect the following:
History[edit | edit source]
In 20 of the Fifth Age, a local miner named Wally Prysin used Silverlight to battle Delrith, who was about to crush Varrock, and banish him back to the Infernal Dimensions. For the next 150 years, Silverlight resided in a crypt below the church in the North-east of Varrock guarded by the spirits of those who had wielded Silverlight.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 1 February 2010 (Update):
- Silverlight’s model in the POH display case has been updated to reflect the new version.
- patch 21 December 2009 (Update):
- Silverlight and Darklight have now been updated in line with last week’s Demon Slayer changes.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Improved the lighting effects around Silverlight in its case during Demon Slayer.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Silverlight can be traded on RuneScape Classic.
- Silverlight can be easily re-obtained from Gideon Bede, even after completing Shadow of the Storm, or from May's Quest Caravan after putting 150 quest points towards the Hub Track.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight was sold in the Legends' Guild. This was the only way to re-obtain it at that time, and due to complaints about this, Silverlight was removed from the Legends' Guild and it was obtained from Sir Prysin but since Demon Slayer was updated it can now be retrieved from Gideon Bede.
- In RuneScape Classic, Silverlight will weaken a demon if it is used on the first hit.
- In While Guthix Sleeps, it is revealed that Movario, greatly fearful of the unnaturally powerful 'tormented demons', intends to seek out Silverlight in the event the sinister Lucien sets them on him, for "normal weapons will be only marginally useful, as the creature seemed to possess some sort of magical defence."
- Silverlight was graphically updated on 15 December 2009. Black Silverlight and its upgraded counterpart Darklight was updated along with the release of the 2009 Christmas event.
- The Silverlight copy in Varrock museum did not change in the graphic update, it still had the look of the old Silverlight. This has been fixed.
- Originally you could own more than 1 Silverlight at a time, by doing the drop trick from Sir Prysin in exchange for 500 coins at a time, However this was changed when the Demon Slayer quest was updated and Players could retrieve Silverlight from Gideon Bede. It is now impossible to do the drop trick since Silverlight now has a "Destroy" option instead of a "Drop" option.
- Due to the Demon Slayer rework, it is now possible for players who completed the original version to have two silverlights.
- If you have two silverlights in your inventory and use black mushroom ink on one, then both silverlights will disappear, but only a single darklight will be produced.
References[edit | edit source]
Main hand slash weapons
|Dyed drygore longswords|