Silhouette is a secret organisation that enacts the will of Zaros from the shadows. Xephos is a key figure of the group and gives orders to the Acting Guildmaster of the Archaeology Guild, who is also a member of Silhouette.
History[edit | edit source]
Silhouette infiltrated the Archaeology Guild through Lottie Reiniger, who rose to the rank of Associate and became close with Guildmaster Tony. After a failed attempt to get more funding from the Varrock Museum, Tony received a visit from a mysterious stranger known as Xephos. On behalf of Silhouette, he provided the funding necessary to finance all the active digs at Senntisten, as well as expeditions to various dig sites across Gielinor. In exchange, Silhouette was to receive "a few artefacts and historical items" for their own collections.
Some time after the 18th Ritual of Rejuvenation, Silhouette obtained the black stone owned by Zemouregal that was shattered shortly before the ritual. Although inert, it was studied by mages of the order and was deemed to have potential. Xephos later gave the black stone to Guildmaster Tony and suggested that he use it on the Codex to investigate it. Tony used it on the monolith and was sucked into it.
In his absence, Reiniger became acting guildmaster. However, she went rogue and became determined to find Tony and bring him back.
Xephos charged Reiniger with organising an expedition to Orthen to find an artefact sought by Zaros. Prior to this, other people had already been sent to locate it and did not return. Lottie sent two of the more ruthless recruits to retrieve it, knowing it to be futile, but doing it to keep up appearances within Silhouette. She also sent an agent of her own, whom she trusted, to bring back articles of linguistic significance that were being unearthed in the area. The agent returned with stone tablets which had close analogues to the glyphs found in the Codex.
As Reiniger translated the Orthen tablets, she came across the concept of anathema, a word used by Jas to describe shadow anima. She spoke the word aloud and the glyphs glowed more and more brightly. In her research notes, Reiniger then describes a sudden darkness, "a lurch in my stomach as I fell forward. A sense of space and yet nothing. An infinite expanse that yawned wide and rendered me... null.". After this, she stated that whatever Zaros plans to do couldn't be allowed to happen. She used her contacts to get the word out about Zaros's plans, claiming that "[t]he world must know what is coming. Or it will be the end of everything.".
Known members[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "Like any good clandestine order, Silhouette keeps track of its members - makes sure you're toeing the line, enacting Lord Zaros's will from the shadows."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "I can't leave, Tony. No-one leaves Silhouette."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "I've known Xephos since the early days, before we infiltrated the Guild. He recruited me to help Nabanik rebuild the temple - found a failing student and gave her purpose. He values my resourcefulness, but has never truly trusted me. So he keeps me where he can see me."
- ^ Guildmaster Tony, "Archaeology/Pre-release", RuneScape. "I think we likely have enough interest that we can expand. There's been some interesting discoveries over in Morytania for example. Perhaps we should get a dig starter there as well?"
- ^ Xephos, "Archaeology/Pre-release", RuneScape. "Well we do expect something in return. Don't worry, nothing nefarious. Just a few artefacts and historical items for our own collections."
- ^ Xephos, "Archaeology/Pre-release", RuneScape.
- Xephos: Have you been testing it with any of the artefacts?
- Guildmaster Tony: Yes, but none seem to have any sort of impact. I suspect it's looking for something more specific.
- Xephos: I wonder if we might be able to help there. In our own studies we came across this ancient relic. It's a black stone that was once possessed by the mahjarrat Zemouregal. It's inert but our mages are convinced there is potential there. Perhaps this is the right place for it to be used?
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "So I'm writing these 'Research Notes' - bundling them up and putting them somewhere safe. Should I slip up, and the Inquisitors catch up with me, I want there to be some chance that something of my work survives. That if somehow you find your way home on your own, you might know that I tried to do the right thing. I'm going to find you, Tony. And I'm going to bring you back."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "He's given me the task of organising an expedition to the site at Orthen. There's an artefact there that Lord Zaros covets. A lost cause, of course - no one we've sent has ever returned. But I've heard that articles of linguistic significance are being unearthed in the surrounding area. Worth a shot, I'd say. I'll send a couple of our more ruthless recruits along - who'll make it look like I tried, and whose deaths won't cost me too much sleep. And one other. Someone I can trust to slip away quietly and return with what I'm looking for. If it's there at all."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "After a month of useless poring over the Monolith, I was beginning to lose hope. But today, my agent returned. Sure enough, she procured some stone tablets with close analogues to the troublesome glyphs, next to more discernible Dragonkin script. Far from perfect, but enough to work with - given time."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "One thing: rumour has it that Lord Zaros stepped in when the expedition failed and retrieved the artefact himself. For him to intervene personally... Honestly, I'm not sure what it means."
- ^ Jas, "Desperate Measures", RuneScape.
- Player: Shadow anima? The substance his machine produced before you enslaved them?
- Voice of Jas: It is toxic. Anathema.
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "With the source tablets from Orthen, it was relatively straightforward to translate. [...] Anathema. I couldn't help it. I spoke the word aloud, as it came to me, and the glyphs glowed brightly. The light grew until it filled my vision and then... Darkness. A lurch in my stomach as I fell forward. A sense of space and yet nothing. An infinite expanse that yawned wide and rendered me... null."
- ^ Reiniger's Research Notes, written by Acting Guildmaster Reiniger, RuneScape. "Lord Zaros is on his way, I know that now. With an appropriate reagent, no doubt he could finish whatever it is I started when I spoke that word. Whatever he plans to do, it can't be allowed to happen. I'll use my contacts - get the word out to whoever will listen. The world must know what is coming. Or it will be the end of everything."