The Shilo Village mining site is one of only two places at which players can find precious gem rocks; the other place being the Al Kharid mine resource dungeon, 3 rocks are up for mining at the surface. To get access to this mine, you'll have to complete the quest Shilo Village. It is located in the northwestern part of Shilo Village, in Karamja, and is a short distance from the bank. The gem rocks will give one random gem when mined, either a Emerald, Ruby, or Diamond. You'll get the gems Uncut, which can be nice for people who like to train some extra Crafting. There are no monsters or any other rocks at the mine. It is also possible for a Shooting Star to land at the surface gem mine.
Carrying a gem bag can greatly extend the amount of time at the mines. If wearing the ring of wealth, once it shines brightly two gems will be mined from one rock instead of the usual one gem.
Location of the entrance.
The underground gem mine is only accessible to players who own Karamja gloves 3.
Players who have completed the Karamja Diary may use their Karamja gloves 3 to teleport directly to the gem mine for free an unlimited number of times. Furthermore, they will get access to the underground portion of the Gem mine, which has an additional 14 Gem rocks and contains the entrance to the gemstone cavern.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Gem mining rocks at Shilo Village have been thinned out (notably to make room for the occasional shooting star rock).
- ninja 10 September 2018 (Update):
- Gemstone mine has had graphical improvements.
- ninja 20 August 2018 (Update):
- The ladder into the hidden gem mine in Shilo Village can now be descended while the player is carrying Karamja gloves 3 or 4 in their inventory - rather than needing to be equipped.