Shield of Arrav
|Shield of Arrav (#6)|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Original: Greg V|
Rework: Stuart W
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Varrockian literature tells of a valuable shield, stolen long ago from the Museum of Varrock, by a gang of professional thieves.
See if you can track down this shield and return it to the Museum.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Reldo, the Varrock palace librarian.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
A librarian's quest[edit | edit source]
Talk to Reldo, located in Varrock's library, in Varrock Palace, which can be found east of the Grand Exchange. Ask him for a quest and he will tell you there is probably a book on something in the library. You have to now search the bookcase with a blue book in the top shelf. When you've found it, read or skim through it. After you've read the book, speak with Reldo and ask him about the whereabouts of the Phoenix Gang, but he tells you to go to Baraek because he doesn't know.
Phoenix Gang[edit | edit source]
Baraek is located in the centre of Varrock. He buys and sells furs, and his stall is marked with an icon of bear fur. Talk to him and ask about the Phoenix Gang. At first he will refuse, then he will want you to give him 10 coins for info. Give him 10 coins, and he will tell you it is located in the south-east corner of Varrock.
The hideout is near the south-east corner of Varrock between the two bars/pubs. It is a bit south of the rune shop. Look for the dungeon icon () on your map to find the hideout. When you've found the red exclamation mark, you will see a ladder. Climb down it to enter the Phoenix Gang's hideout.
Inside the hideout, talk to Straven. Tell him that you know who he is, a member of the Phoenix Gang. Straven will deny this, but tell you that if you were looking to join the gang, he has heard that they want someone to kill Jonny the beard. He is located in Varrock's Blue Moon Inn. This bar/restaurant is located near the south entrance of Varrock. Go inside the bar and find Jonny the Beard and kill him (he may need to respawn).
Jonny will drop a report which Straven needs. Grab the report and bring it back to Straven. Talk to Straven while having the report in your inventory, and he will make you a Phoenix Gang member, allowing you to enter their hideout.
Look around for a chest in the south-west corner of the hideout to find one half of the Shield of Arrav.
Black Arm Gang[edit | edit source]
To join the Black Arm Gang, talk to Charlie the Tramp located near the south entrance of Varrock. Ask him where the Black Arm Gang hideout is, and he’ll ask for 10 coins. Give him 10 coins – if you attempt to only give him 5, he'll ask for another 5. He'll then tell you that the hideout is located at the end of the alley he resides in. Go down the alley and enter the building. Look for a woman named Katrine and talk to her.
Tell her you know about her gang and that you won't give your source. Ask her about what you should do to prove that you're trustworthy and she will give you a task to join her gang. Katrine wants you to steal from the Phoenix Gang. She wants two of their crossbows. If you didn't pick them up previously, head back to the Phoenix Gang hideout, and climb up the ladder in the building to the east. The Weaponsmaster will let you in, and you may pick up two Phoenix crossbows.
When you have both of them, go back to Katrine, and she will make you a member of the Black Arm Gang. Go upstairs in the hideout and look for a cupboard, which contains half of the Shield of Arrav.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
Combine both halves of the shield to obtain a restored shield, and give it to King Roald in Varrock Palace. He will be amazed that it has been returned after all this time, and say that it will once again be proudly displayed in Varrock Museum.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 1,200 coins
- If you are a member, you can talk to Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum to receive 5 kudos and an antique lamp that gives 1,000 experience in a skill of level 20 or above.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Shield of Arrav ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Shield of Arrav is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Blood Runs Deep
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dimension of Disaster
- Dimension of Disaster: Curse of Arrav
- Dimension of Disaster: Defender of Varrock
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Glorious Memories
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- In Memory of the Myreque
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Legends' Quest
- Love Story
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Sir Amik Varze
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Royal Trouble
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Branches of Darkmeyer
- The Curse of Arrav
- The Light Within
- The Lord of Vampyrium
- The Lost Toys
- The Mighty Fall
- The Temple at Senntisten
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Throne of Miscellania
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 November 2018 (Update):
- If you have the complete from Shield of Arrav before the quest rework was completed without finishing the quest, you can now properly complete the quest.
- patch 13 February 2017 (Update):
- The Shield of Arrav quest (and to a lesser extent Heroes' Quest) has received a variety of quality-of-life improvements.
- update 13 February 2017 (Update):
- patch 28 March 2011 (Update):
- Players can now only gain one weapon store key during Shield of Arrav.
- patch 10 February 2009 (Update):
- patch 20 January 2009 (Update):
- There is now a quest start icon for both sides of The Shield of Arrav quest.
- patch 13 January 2009 (Update):
- The weapons master found in the Shield of Arrav quest now fights as one should.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, it was only possible to join one gang, and completion of the quest required a partner in the opposite gang who had not completed the quest yet. This was changed on 13 February 2017, when the quest was reworked to allow joining both gangs. This also doubled the reward to 1,200 coins, as King Roald would previously give only 600 coins for bringing him a certificate of authenticity from Curator Haig Halen, whose role in the quest was also discontinued.
- Upon completing the quest the Adventurer's Log reads: "A friend and I managed to recover the Shield of Arrav from gang members and put it where it belongs – in a museum." This is reference to Indiana Jones.
- Shield of Arrav was one of the 6 quests available during RuneScape's launch.
- In the beginning, a bug allowed the player to join both gangs. Katrine would appear angry at the player, but the player would still be able to enter the Black Arm Gang. The Phoenix gang doorman would also attack the player.
- In the early days of RuneScape 2, it was possible to buy the certificate from the general store and skip the majority of the quest. This is no longer possible.
- After completing the quest, if you talk to Juna, your character will say, "...So that's how I helped return the Shield of Arrav."
- Originally, entering the Phoenix Gang's headquarters required a separate key. This was later changed, and the key was removed from the game.
|Part 1 of the Arrav quest series|
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|
|Lores and Histories|
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|