|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Sheep Shearer is a miniquest and former quest. It was one of the six quests available when RuneScape was released, and features Fred the Farmer tasking the player with shearing his black sheep in order to collect 20 Balls of black wool.
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Farmer Fred's sheep are getting mighty woolly. He will pay you to shear them.||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Lumbridge, found North of the Lumbridge Market.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Official length||Very Short|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||None, but watch out for rams.|
To start the quest, talk to Fred the Farmer, who can be found in his house North of Lumbridge, just North of the Lumbridge Market. Tell him that you're looking for work, and Fred will task you with collect 20 balls of black wool from his black sheep. He will also warn you to watch out for 'The Thing', which he says is a black-hearted shape-shifter who hungers for souls.
If you already bought balls of black wool from another player or the Grand Exchange, you can hand them in and complete the miniquest immediately. If you can't buy them, or would prefer not to, you can gather them yourself.
To find the sheep, leave his house and climb over the stile on the fence to the West of it, which will take you into their pen. The pen is home to two black sheep. To shear the black sheep, simply click them, and your character will shear them, although there is a chance that the sheep will run away, if this happens, try again. As there are only two sheep, after you have sheared both of them, wait a few seconds and their wool will grow back, allowing you to shear them again.
Keep doing this until you've obtained 20 pieces of black wool, then go to Lumbridge Castle and go up the stairs to the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]. The spinning wheel is found in the room South of the one that Duke Horacio resides. Spin the wool on the wheel, and then return to Fred. If you do not have the space to carry all 20 balls of wool, you can make smaller deliveries until you reach the required total. Fred will thank you for aiding him, and he will reward you.
Congratulations, miniquest complete!
Reward[edit | edit source]
- 2,000 coins
- 150 experience
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Sheep Shearer (miniquest) ( 5) – Complete this Novice miniquest.
- Fred's Shearings ( 5) – Claim 1,940 coins from Fred the Farmer after the 'Sheep Shearer' miniquest.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 May 2020 (Update):
- Corrected the start point for the Sheep Shearer miniquest in the Quest Journal.
- patch 7 September 2010 (Update):
- patch 15 December 2009 (Update):
- The following quests have received a number of minor changes and improvements: Cook's Assistant, Ernest the Chicken, Restless Ghost, Rune Mysteries, Sheep Shearer. If you have already completed these quests, it may be worth your time talking to the Lumbridge cook, Fred the Farmer and Professor Oddenstein (outside Draynor Manor).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The quest was reworked on 15 December 2009. Before the rework, the quest only required normal balls of wool. You could have them all in your inventory before speaking to Farmer Fred if you wanted, making the quest much shorter.
- With an update on 24 June 2010, the Sheep Shearer and Witch's Potion quests are the first two discontinued quests, meaning no one can start it for quest points. For those who want the reward, they can do the miniquest, but there are no more quest points associated with the task.
- For players who completed the quest before the update, the reward was 60 coins, not 2000. Players can collect the remaining 1940 coins by talking to Fred. He will say that the black wool sold unexpectedly well and is giving you some of the profits; however, the only people who can do this are people who sheared white sheep, not black ones.
- In the old version of Sheep Shearer, if you tried to give Farmer Fred noted wool, he would say, "What's this rubbish! This isn't wool! It's a note promising to give me wool!" Since black wool could not be noted until it was made tradeable in an update on 9 October 2017, this line was removed when the quest was updated, and Farmer Fred will not acknowledge any noted balls of black wool.
- With 150 crafting experience, it held the record for the smallest experience reward for any skill given as a quest reward until the release of The Blood Pact.
- Andrew Gower said in his Clan Chat that half of the Sheep Shearer quest was available in his game, DeviousMUD, the first version of RuneScape[source needed].
- Although this isn't a quest anymore, you can still tell the story of this miniquest to Juna.
- It used to grant 1 quest point before being demoted to miniquest.
- When the Battle of Lumbridge started on 22 July 2013, Fred's farm was moved, but his directions for getting to Lumbridge Castle was not; he still says the castle is to the southeast when it is directly south.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|