|Release date||15 December 2009 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Fred the Farmer's sheep pen, Dark Wizards' Tower|
|Examine||It's sporting the height of wool-based fashion.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
They are significantly more uncommon than white sheep, and may only be found in Fred the Farmer's farm in Lumbridge, and just south-west of the Dark Wizards' Tower near Falador. Fred's farm only has two black sheep (and an unshearable black lamb), and the Dark Wizards Tower has ten, but the latter is also inhabited by aggressive level 22, 35, and 37 Dark Wizards.
History[edit | edit source]
Black sheep were introduced with the 15 December 2009 rework to the Sheep Shearer quest. In the original version of the quest, Fred the Farmer requested 20 balls of wool, which players were able to simply buy from other players without shearing any sheep. The rework of the quest introduced the untradeable balls of black wool and their associated sheep to combat this, ensuring that players had to actually shear sheep to complete the quest.
The 9 October 2017 Free-to-play update made their wool obtainable outside of the quest, and added some to the Dark Wizard's Tower. It also gave their wool an additional use, being an ingredient in crafting black wizard robes. Their wool was later made tradeable, meaning the original reason they were introduced was rendered null.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 9 October 2017 (Update):
- A herd of black sheep has assembled between the Dark Wizards' Tower and the Makeover Mage's house.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to 9 October 2017, they could only be sheared during Sheep Shearer.
- Attempting to shear a black sheep before starting Sheep Shearer results in the message . This includes attempting to shear the black sheep near Dark Wizards' Tower.
- It turns into a white sheep after being shorn.