Shantay is a merchant who runs the Shantay Pass. He owns the Shantay Pass Shop. Shantay also provides some information about desert survival, as the effects of the desert heat starts taking its toll south of Shantay Pass, which can be useful for new players going into the desert.
If a player declares being an outlaw, Shantay will call upon his guards to have the player arrested and demands the player pay a fine of 5 coins. If the player choses to pay the 5 coins, the cell door will be unlocked and you are free to leave. If the player choses to not pay the money, they can either let Shantay transport them to be locked in Port Sarim "high-security" jail or chose to remain in the cell.
The player can escape by picking the lock of the cell. It is easier with a higher Thieving level, but there is no level requirement and it does not give experience. The player is also able to teleport out by any means. There was a period of time this appeared to be impossible as Shantay only had an Examine option, but this has since been rectified through a hidden update.
|This article on an NPC has an associated dialogue page.|
Click here for a transcript of possible conversations and other messaging related to this NPC.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
- update 26 September 2012 (Update):
- Shantay was given a graphical rework.
- Shantay now lets players through the Pass for free, and no longer sells the 'Shantay Pass' item.
- update 14 April 2003 (Update):
- Shantay addresses players as effendi, which was a common form of address, equivalent to 'sir', in the Ottoman Empire. It may also derive from the Turkish word efendi, which translates to 'master' or 'sir'.
- Before the Al Kharid rework, in order to pass through the Shantay Pass people would have needed to purchase Shantay passes from Shantay.
- Shantay has a look-alike in the minigame Heist, referred to as "Desert Trader"