The Shadow Realm is omni-present in the universe and in many ways is akin to another layer over individual worlds. Although it seems to be part of the universe itself, it in some ways resembles another dimension as unique forms of life are present and the nature of the realm is different from the worlds they parallel. Players are able to see into it with the ring of visibility, and become part of it with the ghostly robes.
The Shadow Realm is discussed at length by a dragonkin in The Shadow Realm, who mentions that most of what is known about the realm is misleading. He claims that it is not a realm, but an expanding part of the universe that stretches increasingly over all present worlds. The Realm is filled with 'shadow' that gets thicker the lower one travels into it, and at a point, the shadow is so thick that not even Gods can traverse it. Various monsters reside in the Shadow Realm, some examples being the Shadow cackler, an individually weak monster whose powers amplify in large groups, and the shadow leviathan, an extremely powerful monster that has adapted to the dark and only seeks to hunt out any sources of light. It is well known for its power that even Zaros is intimidated by it.
The Shadow Realm is featured in the The General's Shadow miniquest. During the miniquest, it is said that the Shadow Realm is a dimension in which the Mahjarrat have great control over, with the Mahjarrat General Khazard and his followers currently in the realm preparing for the next Ritual of Rejuvenation. Indeed, after Zaros was defeated, his remaining human followers seemed to believe he had retreated to the Shadow Realm, and would continue to rule from it. General Khazard is confused when he sees the player walking in the Shadow Realm with the assistance of the ghostly robes, claiming that normally only dead and Mahjarrat can do so. However, despite Khazard's statement, the Shadow Realm is not linked to the realm of the dead, the latter being a separate place entirely.
Sliske is mentioned by Zemouregal, Azzanadra, and Wahisietel as being particularly skilled at reaching into the Shadow Realm, although Wahisietel claims that Sliske was better at manipulating the Shadow Realm of Freneskae. Sliske experimented on the original six Barrows brothers within the Shadow Realm, causing them to be greatly enhanced, in addition to granting them some powers over the realm. Even though Sliske has a great understanding of the Shadow Realm, Mod Osborne stated that Zaros had a better understanding than Sliske about the Shadow Realm, at least for Gielinor. In the beginning of Fate of the Gods, Sliske brings the player into the Shadow Realm, which looks exactly like the normal plane of existence but with muted, darker, and greyer colours. If the player decides to leave at this point, they will retain this Shadow Realm colour scheme (while interacting with the world as usual) until they log out. In Dishonour among Thieves, it is revealed that Sliske experimented more on the Shadow Realm, causing most of the Mahjarrat to have difficulty entering the realm, with some being completely unable to. It is also shown to have preservative properties, as Palkeera's body is well preserved when found within the realm, despite her death occurring millennia before.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Mod Slayer. "Missing, Presumed Death - FAQ." 18 October 2013. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ a b The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "The shadow realm may be a place, but it is not a part of any plane or world. It stretches from the very pit of this universe, below even the lowest planes, and reaches all the way to the highest, to Gielinor itself. Along the way its tendrils reach out and touch many worlds, wrap around them, and those worlds too are said to have 'shadow realms'. In these furthest planes the shadow is merely a thin, invisible membrane that clings to the outside of the planets that it touches."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "It is possible to navigate the rivers of this interplanetary network, but as one travels lower into the universe, the shadows become thicker and denser. What are rivers in the transcendent planes become great seas in the catalytic and elemental planes, surrounding the planets with a huge, amorphous halo beyond the edge of normal sight."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "Just as the abyss and void hold their own forms of life, so too does the shadow, and such beings can be found occasionally in these shadow seas, far from a world's surface. They are twisted and elusive creatures, more formless than definite. They are suffused utterly with shadow energy, composed I believe of the same matter as the sea they swim in. While within their realm they are quite invisible from beyond it, and when brought forth into real space, they expire rapidly."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "The shadow leviathan, a great wyrm large enough to coil around worlds. It hunts through the dark, seeking any pinprick of light to devour. If it has a mind, it knows only hatred of the living. Planes not filled with the shadow cannot sustain its bulk, and so seem safe from its predations."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "In my research expeditions to the mainland I have spent some time studying the sorcerers of the empty god's empire. Their so-called 'dark magicks' come in five schools, and it is the school of shadow which most interests me, not least because of their misconceptions. I have read them describe it as a 'coterminous dimension' and though there is an element of truth to this, they quite fail to see the full picture."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "What none can see whose lives do not span the breadth of eons as ours do, is that the shadow realm is spreading. When first we were subjugated by the stone, the shadow barely reached the lower planes. With each millennium that passes, the planes gradually fill with shadow, until it spills out across the universe covering more and more worlds. Having reached even Gielinor, I do not know what if anything can stop it from filling the universe entirely."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "It is possible to navigate the rivers of this interplanetary network, but as one travels lower into the universe, the shadows become thicker and denser... Beyond Freneskae at the utter end of the universe are the true depths, where the realm grows thicker and darker still, such that even gods must turn back."
- ^ The Shadow Realm, RuneScape. "The shadow leviathan, a great wyrm large enough to coil around worlds. It hunts through the dark, seeking any pinprick of light to devour. If it has a mind, it knows only hatred of the living."
- ^ Ayanetka, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "Our god is not dead. He will rule from the Shadow Realm until he returns to destroy the usurper."
- ^ Dagroda, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "Remember, our god is not dead, but rules from the Shadow Realm."
- ^ Lamarinta, The Book of Zaros, RuneScape. "While the other gods exhausted themselves in war and were banished, our lord Zaros bided his time in the Shadow Realm."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 47 - "Transcript:Grumpy mermaids and sleepy dragons.", Letter 5, by Wahisietel. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Mod Osborne. Campfire:Quests & Lore. 27 June 2013.*
|Realms and worlds|