There are 21 versions of Shade keys. These items are all obtained during the Shades of Mort'ton minigame as a reward after cremating a shade. Shade keys come in 5 metals, and 5 colours.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Metal[edit | edit source]
The type of metal from which the key is made directly determines the list of rewards the player can obtain from the chest and which doors they may open in the Shade Catacombs. These keys can be obtained by cremating specific remains:
- Bronze - cremate Loar or Phirin remains
- Steel - cremate Phirin or Riyl remains
- Black - cremate Riyl or Asyn remains
- Silver - cremate Asyn, Fiyr or Edimmu remains
- Gold - cremate Fiyr or Edimmu remains
Colour[edit | edit source]
Alongside the metal of the key determined from cremating remains, the key's handle will be in one of five different colours (from worst to best); red, brown, crimson, black and purple, apart from gold keys, which only come in one form. The key's handle determines which chest may be opened; a silver key red cannot be used to open a silver key purple chest.
Like the metal of the key, the remains determine the colour of the key generated:
- Loar remains - bronze red, brown, crimson
- Phirin remains - bronze black, purple, steel red, brown, crimson
- Riyl remains - steel black, purple, black red, brown, crimson
- Asyn remains - black crimson, black, purple, silver red, brown, crimson
- Fiyr and Edimmu remains - silver red, brown, crimson, black, purple, gold key
Redeeming[edit | edit source]
Once the keys have been obtained, the player must bring them to the Shade Catacombs and enter the treasure rooms, where there will be various chests inside. With the exception of the Fiyr chambers, all other shade chambers' treasure rooms contains chests of all five colours of the corresponding metal.
When the corresponding key is used on the chest, the key will disintegrate, but the player will get some rewards in return. Occasionally the player may find some extra coins or swamp tar while looting the chest.
|Materials and tools|