|Release||31 October 2003 (Update)|
|High alch||1 coin|
|Low alch||1 coin|
|It's a Scythe.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
The scythe is a holiday item from the 2003 Halloween event. They were dropped on 31 October 2003 and 2 November 2003. There was also a server message saying "Happy Halloween." The second drop happened because many players in North America were not online when Jagex dropped the scythes, causing them to miss out and writing to Customer Support.
Scythes were the last holiday items to be dropped in RuneScape Classic, and the last piece of content that was added to RuneScape Classic before RuneScape 2 was released.
When they were dropped, only one could be obtained. If a player attempted to pick up another scythe, their message box would show the message: "You already have a scythe, you don't need another one."
Scythes are wieldable as a two-handed weapon. If the scythe is lost, it can be retrieved from Thessalia's Fine Clothes in Varrock or Diango in Draynor Village.
The scythe is more or less a novelty item like all other holiday items, although it can be used as a weapon. The scythe is a great reminder of the days of RuneScape Classic, and it is very rare to see someone still in possession of a scythe.
In RuneScape Classic, it is also possible to take them to Entrana, this made the Lost City quest noticeably easier; however, this is no longer possible in future versions. Also, in RuneScape Classic, there is an occasional animation of the scythe "drawing blood" from the opponent, showing a small splashed red dot in addition to the regular damage message. This animation has no effects on the actual damage, however.
The Holiday Event in which scythes were dropped was the result of a poll ran shortly before the event. The poll asked players whether they would rather have no Holiday drop for Halloween and have a pancake day in two months, or delay RuneScape 2 a day or two as a result of the production of a Halloween drop. As it can be seen, more people ultimately supported the inclusion of a holiday drop.
It also led to the discovery of the partyhat duplication glitch.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 20 December 2010 (Update):
- The Scythe's wield animation has been changed to prevent clipping with hats.
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- You should be able to select the defensive style with a scythe in all circumstances.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It was possible to get more than one scythe when RS2 was released. By transferring their items to RuneScape Classic and then recovering the scythe from Thessalia's Fine Clothes, players were able to generate more than one scythe when Jagex later allowed players to transfer items back to the main game.
- Before the graphics update, players wielded Scythes with one hand, even though it was a 2 handed weapon.
- Before the update on 21 December 2010, the Scythe had a glitch where it wouldn't finish its animation and would reset at the end of the loop.
- The Grim Reaper wields a Scythe, although of a different design.
- A wheat farmer on Miscellania also appears to be wielding a scythe. The animation he performs is similar to the Scythe's accurate attack function, or reap, from before the Evolution of Combat.
- Scythes were tradeable in DarkScape.
- The Scythe uses the default error examine info of "It's a [Item name]", as Jagex forgot to add any examine details during the RuneScape 2 Beta. The same oversight occurred with the Santa hat.
- If the scythe is Keepsaked you will not be able to get another one from Diango until it is removed. The message " You already own that! It can be found in your keepsake box." appears instead.
See also[edit | edit source]
Two-handed crush weapons