A scrimshaw is an item that is equipped in the pocket slot. Most of them can be created at the scrimshaw crafter in the workshop of a player-owned port with the Fletching skill. They impart a range of benefits, many of which are geared towards increasing level gain during high-levelled training. All scrimshaw have both a tradeable and a superior, untradeable version.
They can be activated and deactivated while worn: tradeable scrimshaw last for shorter amount of activation time, while superior scrimshaws last for 4 hours, after which they will vanish. Logging out, or switching worlds will cause the scrimshaw to deactivate. When the scrimshaw runs out of time, this message appears in the chat window (unless Game Messages is turned off):
Partially used scrimshaws can be used on each other to combine the remaining time back equal to a newly made scrimshaw.
High-level fletchers can make scrimshaws starting at level 85, up to level 95 for the higher tier scrimshaw. Temporary skill boosts do not work. Scrimshaw can be only made at the player-owned port, in a refitted workshop or a workshop of a higher tier. Each scrimshaw requires between 2 and 10 ancient bones to make, and gives 4,000 Fletching experience. The experience bonus of the workshop applies to making scrimshaw.
The Voyage Gift of Gu may give a random superior player-owned port scrimshaw with only 50% charges.
Player-owned port scrimshaws[edit | edit source]
|Image||Tradeable version (3 hours)||
|GE price||Ancient bones||Price per ancient bones||Untradeable version (4 hours)||Examine & Effect (Superior effect)|
|Log-splitting scrimshaw||85||1,064,817||4||266,204||Superior log-splitting scrimshaw||15% (20%) chance to split a log as you chop it, earning additional Woodcutting experience and not collecting the log.|
|Rock-crushing scrimshaw||85||1,178,847||4||294,712||Superior rock-crushing scrimshaw||2% (3%) increased critical hit chance when mining.|
|Whopper-baiting scrimshaw||85||1,197,338||4||299,335||Superior whopper-baiting scrimshaw||15% (20%) chance to bait a whopper fish, gaining additional Fishing experience even though you won't land it.|
|Memory-crushing scrimshaw||85||1,113,873||4||278,468||Superior memory-crushing scrimshaw||15% (20%) chance to instantly convert memories as you obtain them, gaining Divination experience. You need level 80+ Divination to learn the ability from Boni how to make this scrimshaw|
|Tree-shaking scrimshaw||90||415,302||2||207,651||Superior tree-shaking scrimshaw||Increases the drop rate of bird nests by 300% (400%).|
|Gem-finding scrimshaw||90||392,383||2||196,192||Superior gem-finding scrimshaw||2% (3%) increased chance of finding a geode.|
|Casket-salvaging scrimshaw||90||207,436||2||103,718||Superior casket-salvaging scrimshaw||Successful fishing catches have a chance of finding various caskets. Higher-level fishing provides better chances.|
|Energy-gathering scrimshaw||90||1,260,290||2||630,145||Superior energy-gathering scrimshaw||15% (20%) chance to gather double the energy received when gathering memories. You need level 80+ Divination to learn the ability from Boni how to make this scrimshaw|
|Scrimshaw of vampyrism||92||5,983,590||10||598,359||Superior scrimshaw of vampyrism||For every successful melee attack, this scrimshaw absorbs a small (moderate) amount of the enemy's health, giving it to the scrimshaw bearer.
[5% (6.66%) lifesteal from melee attacks]
|Scrimshaw of the elements||92||5,830,351||10||583,035||Superior scrimshaw of the elements||Every magic attack hits with a small (moderate) amount of elemental damage.
[5% (6.66%) increased magic damage]
|Scrimshaw of cruelty||92||5,976,050||10||597,605||Superior scrimshaw of cruelty||Ranged attacks deal increased damage.
[5% (6.66%) increased ranged damage]
|Scrimshaw of ranging||95||3,188,129||10||318,813||Superior scrimshaw of ranging||Adds 2% (4%) to ranged accuracy.|
|Scrimshaw of magic||95||2,718,973||10||271,897||Superior scrimshaw of magic||Adds 2% (4%) to magic accuracy.|
|Scrimshaw of attack||95||1,685,507||10||168,551||Superior scrimshaw of attack||Adds 2% (4%) to melee accuracy.|
Special scrimshaws[edit | edit source]
|Image||Tradeable version (1 hour)||GE price||Untradeable upgraded version (4 hours)||
Level required to upgrade
|Upgrade cost||Examine & Effect (Superior effect)|
|Scrimshaw of sacrifice (inactive)||1,622,871||Superior scrimshaw of sacrifice||95||10||A scrimshaw twisted with corrupt power, when worn you will receive no drops but will receive more Combat and Slayer XP. Lasts 1 hour. (Lasts 4 hours).|
|Scrimshaw of aggression (inactive)||567,771||Superior scrimshaw of aggression||95||10||A scrimshaw twisted with corrupt power, when worn these compel most enemies to become aggressive towards you. Lasts 1 hour. (Lasts 4 hours).|
|Scrimshaw of corruption (inactive)||1,893,638||Superior scrimshaw of corruption||95||10||A scrimshaw twisted with corrupt power, when worn these compel most enemies to become aggressive towards you and you will receive no drops but will receive more Combat and Slayer XP. Lasts 1 hour. (Lasts 4 hours).|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- The damage modifiers from damage enhancing scrimshaws, Berserker auras and the Metamorphosis ability are now calculated earlier. This means that bosses phase correctly when they reach their HP threshold and mechanics that rely on damage to progress (such as Telos' tendrils or Vorago's pushback phases (Phase 5 - Normal Mode, Phase 10/11 - Hard Mode)) will now take the additional damage from the modifiers into the equation.
- patch 9 July 2018 (Update):
- Corrected the model view for superior scrimshaws of aggression, corruption, and sacrifice on the scrimshaw crafter's make-X interface.
- patch 25 June 2018 (Update):
- Reduced cost of XP scrimshaws from 10 ancient bones to 4.
- Reduced cost of gathering scrimshaws from 10 ancient bones to 2.
- Added superior scrimshaws of sacrifice, aggression and corruption to the ports scrimshaw crafter.
- patch 23 April 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where a scrimshaw could be activated and deactivated to preserve charges.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- Fully recharged scrimshaws will now stack in the bank with brand new ones.
- ninja 11 September 2017 (Update):
- Scrimshaws of lower charge can now be combined to fully restore charge. For example, combining two 3 hour superior scrimshaws will create one fully charged scrimshaw (4 hours) and one 2 hour scrimshaw.
- ninja 26 June 2017 (Update):
- Removing active scrimshaws will no longer require you to turn them off first.
- patch 11 April 2016 (Update):
- Scrimshaws will now degrade by 10% instead of 20% if unprotected when reclaiming from Death.
- patch 29 March 2016 (Update):
- Reclaiming a fully charged non-superior scrimshaw from a gravestone will no longer cause it to vanish.
- patch 21 March 2016 (Update):
- Superior scrimshaws will no longer disappear when reclaimed after dying if the player disconnects before reclaiming.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- Scrimshaws of Strength have been renamed to Scrimshaws of Attack and now require an Attack level of 85 rather than Strength. These, as well as the Scrimshaws of Ranging and Magic now provide accuracy bonuses to their relevant combat style instead of their previously underwhelming damage bonus.
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- Active scrimshaws and auras now display on the buffs/debuffs interface once again.
- ninja 7 January 2014 (Update):
- The scrimshaw deactivate timer option can now be used 10 seconds after activation, down from 30 seconds.
- ninja 17 December 2013 (Update):
- A new activation animation has been added for scrimshaws.
- Players can now combine semi-used scrimshaws.
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- It is now possible to start a duel with scrimshaws equipped before the fight begins.
- patch 24 June 2013 (Update):
- Scrimshaws now default to the superior category and also default to only make one when using the scrimshaw crafter.
- patch 16 April 2013 (Update):
- Scrimshaws now deactivate themselves correctly if you die with one equipped and active.
- patch 20 May 2013 (Update):
- A small typo with the message for when a scrimshaw runs out of charges has been fixed.