Screening stations can be found at the Varrock Dig Site, also known as the Archaeology Guild. This station is used to screen soil to find Archaeology materials along with a 1/1,000 chance to find artefacts. Players can screen up to 100 of their soil at a time with each piece of soil taking 1.8 seconds (1.2 seconds with a complete master archaeologist's outfit).
Different soils yield the same amount of Archaeology experience. The amount of experience gained and chance of obtaining a material per soil screened varies depending on the player's Archaeology level:
The northern and eastern meshes will use wet screening while the southern and western will use dry screening, with examine messages "A mesh used for wet screening." and "A mesh used for dry screening.", respectively. There is no difference between the two types of screening other than visual animations.
There is also an Invention blueprint named auto-screener v1.080 that players can use to screen their soil as they excavate it.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
- patch 26 October 2020 (Update):
- Artefacts from 'Desperate Measures' will no longer appear when screening soil.
- hotfix 28 September 2020 (Update):
- Sifting soil with a Screening Station will no longer cause messages claiming you don't have enough runes.
- Finding a damaged artefact while screening will complete an Archaeology daily challenge to excavate or restore an artefact, but given the low drop rate there are far more reliable methods.
- ^ Mod Rowley. Anachronia sift soil OP?. Reddit. 22 October 2020. (Archived from the original on 22 October 2020.) Mod Rowley: "More likely just a run of good luck. Not everything has to be a spaghetti bug. The chance for an artefact is 1/1k, so that's just over 2x average. I don't know everything about Sift Soil, so it might boost artefact chance (doubt it, but it might). There'll be someone else out there going dry on artefacts for 5k soil. Regardless, we'll do our due diligence and check to be certain."
- ^ Mod Poerkie. Mega thread Archaeology RuneScape's 28th skill. 3 April 2020. (Archived from the original on 8 June 2021.)