||25 January 2016 (Update)
|1% chance per rank to get an uncommon Invention component as a drop from combat (with a 1% chance it will be a rare component instead).
This perk has an increased chance to activate on level 20 items.
|Infobox • Talk page
Scavenging is an Invention perk that has a chance of producing uncommon and rare materials when monsters that give combat experience are killed. It can be created in weapon and armour gizmos.
When the perk triggers, it prompts the message:
- Your Scavenging perk adds: [Amount] x [Materials].
Scavenging comes in 4 ranks, each giving an increased chance and number of materials, and an item with a level of 20 also increases the chance further without changing the amount of materials. Scavenging uncommon materials creates yellow text, while scavenging rare materials creates red text.
To obtain materials quickly with Scavenging, kill low-level monsters that respawn rapidly, such as in the cow pens in Taverley and the creatures of the Lumbridge Catacombs.
Scavenging is primarily used to obtain the more expensive noxious and illujankan components. It saves the player a lot of money in the long term, but is off-set by the potential amount of time needed to obtain them. As such, the player should consider whether to scavenge for the materials or simply level up and disassemble the source items, depending on what perks they are going for. Scavenging cannot produce ancient materials; that is, it cannot give classic, historic, timeworn, and vintage components.
Note that multiple Scavenging perks don't stack, neither two on one item or in multiple items (i.e. on legs and a mainhand weapon). The effective number of kills on average to obtain 1 component is calculated below. The expected number of materials that will be obtained in a random 10,000 kill sample are also shown.
Effective kills for materials[r 1]
||Kills per material
||Materials per 10,000 kills
- ^ All numbers in parentheses refer to gear with item level 20.
The ideal setup for obtaining this perk is using 9 precious components in an ancient weapon or armour gizmo:
This table details the odds of receiving it:
- If looting is seen as a neutral or positive perk a higher invention level will give the best chance.
- Looting can be seen as a negative perk, since it impacts area loot. In that case the best chance for scavenging 4 is at level 90, which can be reached from a higher level by using Gorak or the area outside the entrance to the God Wars Dungeon.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 18 June 2018 (Update):
- Getting a component drop via Scavenging will now display a "xp drop" informing you of the components you've just gotten.
- hotfix 21 August 2017 (Update):
- Monsters that do not give any combat xp now will not roll for scavenging or looting perks. (Hotfixed last week)
- patch 22 May 2017 (Update):
- The Scavenging perk message is now white, and the type of components (rare or uncommon) coloured.
- patch 22 February 2016 (Update):
- The Scavenging perk has been increased to 1% chance per rank (up from 0.5%) to give an uncommon Invention component in combat, with a chance of rare components.