Sandstone is an item that can only be mined from sandstone rocks at the Desert Quarry south of the Bandit Camp in the Kharidian Desert and from mineral deposits in the Worker district and VIP skilling area in Menaphos. The Desert Quarry poses the hazard that desert heat will continually reduce the player's life points; Menaphos is safer but requires having started The Jack of Spades. If mining outside of Menaphos, players are encouraged to bring waterskins, an enchanted water tiara, or a tome of frost with them to mitigate the heat. Alternatively, if a player has completed the quest Crocodile Tears, they will no longer be affected by desert heat. Additionally in Menaphos, players can earn access to bank deposit boxes close to the mining site or use a bank in the Merchant district in Menaphos (accessed quickly by quick travelling via the Shifting Tombs).
Sandstone is tradeable and sold on the Grand Exchange, primarily to create blessed flasks, although it is also used to construct part of Lazim's statue during the Enakhra's Lament quest, as well as occasionally being a requested item during City Quests in Menaphos.
When sandstone is mined, the player randomly receives one of the four sizes of sandstone blocks. If wearing Varrock armours, stones mined by the double mining chance will be the same size.
Players must have a Mining level of 35 or greater to mine sandstone, which yields the following experience on success based on the size of sandstone mined:
This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of items, click here
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 2 December 2019 (Update):
- 1kg, 2kg, 5kg and 10kg sandstone have had their buy limit on the grand exchange increased to 10,000.
- ninja 4 December 2017 (Update):
- Sandstone can now be cut into smaller blocks in a single step, skipping the intermediary steps.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- Cutting Menaphos sandstone or granite now generates 1 Crafting XP.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- Dragging and dropping sandstone from the inventory will now correctly drop the sandstone.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- There is now a make-x interface for splitting granite and sandstone.