Rupert the Beard
|Rupert the Beard|
|Release date||4 June 2007 (Update)|
|Location(s)||South of the Mind altar|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Rupert the Beard, initially known via the Drain Pipe, is a friendly yet odd dwarf that can be found at the tower south of the Mind altar. He utilizes a dated form of speech similar to Sir Tiffy Cashien, although he shows contempt for the latter.
Rupert was so named after his long beard, which grew after he unknowingly placed a small bottle of strong hair tonic in his helmet. As a result, he had to modify his armour with a special compartment for keeping it.
When his good friend Winkin went missing while doing a delivery to Draynor Market, Rupert set off to find him and found out that Winkin was last seen speaking to a witch before his disappearance.
Eventually, his investigations led him to princess Miazrqa, a second cousin, twice-removed of the witch. Unbeknownst to him, Miazrqa was promised a reward from her beforehand for his capture as Rupert was caught snooping around in order to find Winkin, something the witch didn't like. After attempting to flirt with her to obtain information, he was tricked into the tower and gassed unconcious by the princess, whom took his armour and imprisoned him.
The player manages to secures his release during the events of Grim Tales after recovering a lost pendant for Miazrqa, who agrees to free Rupert. He intends to continue his investigation with the help of the princess, whom offered assistance after expressing horror at Winkin's kidnapping.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Rupert's long beard is based upon the Grimm brothers' fairy tale of Rapunzel.
- This is further referenced in the dialogue between Rupert and the player asking him to let down his beard.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Drain Pipe (Grim Tales), "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Rupert the Beard. At your service, old fruit."
- ^ Drain Pipe (Grim Tales), "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "What am I doing? Well, I guess I'm stuck in a matter of speaking. Dear me, yes! I'm stuck. And I speak in the King's speech, I'll have you know."
- ^ Drain Pipe (Grim Tales), "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "What? That namby pamby nincompoop? Not on your nelly! More fluff in the ears than sense, that man!"
- ^ Drain Pipe (Grim Tales), "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Yes, old ogleroot! On account of my wonderfully long bearded chin, you see."
- ^ Sylas, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Ah, yes! However, tucked inside the helmet is a tiny bottle with a very special potion. It was made by a witch, south of Taverley, and Rupert must have found it."
- ^ Sylas, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Relax, my friend. This potion is almost harmless. It is actually a particularly strong hair-tonic."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Hah! Don't fret, old penny whistle! It's still here. The front of my armour was specially crafted to allow my beard to fold up inside."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Right, well a young gnome friend of mine by the name of Winkin recently disappeared whilst delivering ogleroots to the market in Draynor."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "I don't know exactly, but someone told me he was last seen talking to a witch before he disappeared."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "I'm in a bit of a fix right now. You see, the princess down there has this horrible relative who happens to be a witch."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Stepmother? Ho! Good lord, no. No king in his right mind would marry a hag like that! No, this is her evil second-cousin, twice-removed."
- ^ Miazrqa, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "No, I don't think so. I will be nicely rewarded for catching him."
- ^ Miazrqa, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "I am not at liberty to say. In any case, this dwarf was caught spying and snooping and that sort of thing is not taken lightly."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "My investigations bought me to our friend the princess down there, old pinata. She's related to this witch, as I mentioned. I was...you know...showing a bit of interest in her to get her to give me information."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "She invited me back to her 'tower', saying she would tell me all I wanted to know, and then as I walked in the door she slammed it shut behind me."
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Yes, indeed! Rude indeed! Then, as I was hammering on the door I heard a hissing sound and smelt something strange. The next thing I remember is waking up to find my armour gone!"
- ^ Rupert the Beard, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Thanks to you I can carry on my investigations. Good show, old brussels sprout!"
- ^ Player character, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "Yes. Miazrqa has said she would like to help you with your investigations and that you can use this tower as your base of operations if you want."
- ^ Player character, "Grim Tales", RuneScape. "I can't believe I'm going to say this but...Rupert, Rupert, let down your beard!"