Runite ore is an ore that can be obtained through mining runite rocks, requiring level 50 Mining, in various places around RuneScape.
Runite is required to craft rune bars. As players increase their Mining level and use higher tier pickaxes, they are able to mine runite at quicker rates.
Runite, like other mining resources, can be stored in an ore box. 100 runite can be stored in a rune ore box or higher. This capacity be increased by 20 at level 55 Mining and a further 20 with the completion of the Everything Is Oresome achievement.
Runite was known for a long time, although it was not used at first, with runite being a rather weak metal. In the Second Age, Saradominist dwarves discovered that runite ore smelted with luminite, while not physically stronger, projected an invisible energy field around it. This energy field would damage anything that comes into sudden contact with the item, which was found to be rather useful for making weapons and armour, although not much else.
The magical properties of the metal gave rise to a belief that it was a gift from Saradomin himself. With runestones being subject to similar beliefs, the ore and metal came to be known as runite and rune, repectively. Even though it turned out the metal had no connection with runestones, the name ended up persisting.
| Runite ore|
|Mining level|| 50||Critical hit chance|
|Core|| 56|| 58|
|Stone spirit|| Runite||Rockertunity multiplier|
|Rock stats|| 54||-|
|Durability||600||Double ore chance|
|Base ore||1||Geode chance|
|Varrock armour double chance||10%||15%|
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- Runite now uses luminite rather than coal as the secondary ingredient for smelting. Luminite can be mined at mining level 40.
- Runite ore used to be called rune ore.
- Runite is considered a delicacy to dragons, as discovered in the Varrock Museum.
- ^ Design - Both - Metals, written by Mod Jack, RuneScape. "While the strange, bright blue metal was known to the early dwarves they found the resulting metal weak and could find no use for it."
- ^ Design - Both - Metals, written by Mod Jack, RuneScape. "In the Second Age, Saradominist dwarves searching for new sources of adamantite experimented by smelting the blue ore with luminite, and the results were fantastic. Despite being soft and deformable to a degree which would normally be useless for making weapons and armour, properly refined rune metal which has been smelted with luminite projects a kind of invisible energy field around it. This energy field damages and disrupts anything that comes into sudden contact with it, which works superbly both offensively and defensively. Attacks with rune weapons almost tear their opponents apart, while rune armour will deflect incoming blows from lesser materials like steel or mithril. The dwarves found the energy field too unstable to use in devices or as a power source, so the use of the metal never spread beyond weaponry."
- ^ Design - Both - Metals, written by Mod Jack, RuneScape. "Amongst Saradominists it was the belief that runes were the personal creations and gifts of their god. The properties of runite were so incredible that they believed it to have a similar origin, and named it for that reason. By the time they discovered that there was no relationship, the name had stuck."