Runecrafting pouches are items that can hold varying amounts of rune essence or pure essence. Pouches are highly useful during Runecrafting because they can more than double the amount of essence that can be carried per load (with all pouches being used, you can carry up to 71 essences in your inventory).
There are five different sizes of pouches. Players may only own one of each size, except for the massive pouch (however, only one massive pouch can be filled at a time). As the size of the pouch increases, so does the Runecrafting level required to use it. Each pouch can carry either pure essence or rune essence, but not both at once.
According to the abyssal book, runecrafting pouches are made out of organs harvested from abyssal creatures. Placing magically unstable objects (i.e. rune essence) inside the organ transports them into abyssal space, allowing the organ to hold more than its external appearance would seem to permit. However, as it is used the organ's storage capacity degrades and must be repaired by magical means.
These pouches are among the items never kept on death. If a pouch is dropped with rune essence or pure essence inside, they will disappear from the pouch and become irretrievable.
Types of pouches[edit | edit source]
|Uses before decay||Uses before decay|
with Repair Rune Pouch
|1||Small pouch||3 (3)||N/A||N/A|
|25||Medium pouch||6 (9)||45||225|
|50||Large pouch||9 (18)||29||145|
|75||Giant pouch||12 (30)||10||53|
|90||Massive pouch||18 (48)||42||N/A|
Obtaining pouches[edit | edit source]
Pouches, except for massive pouches, are dropped by Abyssal leeches, guardians, and walkers. They live in two areas of abyssal space, one accessed through the Mage of Zamorak in level 5 Wilderness north of Edgeville, and the other via the fairy ring system.
The pouches are dropped in increasing size. If you have a small pouch, which the dark mage can give for free, in your bank or inventory you will get a medium pouch, and so forth. Once you have a giant pouch, the abyssal creatures will stop dropping them. Note that the pouches are obtainable before players reach the level required to use them.
Wizard Korvak in the Runecrafting Guild can replace lost medium pouches for free. He also sells Large pouches for 25,000 coins and Giant pouches for 50,000 coins. However, you need a Runecrafting level of 50 to get into the Runecrafting guild area to buy pouches.
Degradation[edit | edit source]
Pouches degrade over time and each one will accept a number of uses before it degrades. When they do, the capacity of the pouch is reduced by a few essences (3 for the giant pouch, 2 for the large pouch, 1 for the medium pouch). It decays within:
- 10 full uses (120 essences) for the giant pouch,
- 29 full uses (261 essences) for the large pouch, and
- 45 full uses (270 essences) for the medium pouch.
The small pouch does not decay. Pouches decay on filling them, not emptying them. Degraded pouches will continue to degrade and lose essence capacity until they disappear or are repaired. There are four ways to repair pouches:
- Talk to the dark mage in the Abyss and he will repair them for free. It is not required to have the pouches in one's inventory; he can fix the pouches even if they are stored in the bank. All pouches are repaired at the same time by the Dark mage even if they have not visibly decayed.
- NPC Contact (Lunar spell) - Players who have access to the lunar spellbook can use the NPC Contact spell to have the dark mage repair pouches. This saves the player a long trip to the Abyss.
- Repair Rune Pouch (Lunar spell) - Players can repair and strengthen their pouches via this spell in the lunar spellbook. It must first be unlocked at the Livid Farm for 70,000 produce points, and requires a magic level of 75 to cast as well as 1 astral, 1 cosmic, and 1 law rune. Strengthening the pouches enables five times as many uses before the pouches decay.
- Wizard Korvak in the Runecrafting Guild can replace lost medium pouches for free, and repair any others that need it for a small fee: Large pouch repairs cost 9,000 coins and Giant pouch repairs cost 12,000 coins. Again, you need a Runecrafting level of 50 to get into the Runecrafting guild area to speak to Wizard Korvak.
For the pouches to never degrade, the player will need to offer the Threads of Fate to the Monolith at the Archaeology Guild, costing 100 Monolith energy and 2000 Chronotes to activate the Pouch Protector relic.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 20 September 2021 (Update):
- When retrieving the last remaining runes from a Rune Pouch it will now automatically be sent to the Backpack, unless the Backpack is full, in which case it will remain equipped.
- patch 10 February 2020 (Update):
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a crash that could occur when repairing banked Runecrafting pouches.
- Runecrafting pouches can now only be destroyed, not dropped, and will now inform the player that, if they contain essence, the contents will also be destroyed along with the pouch before asking for confirmation.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- A large number of items now have tooltips on mobile! These items include the Clan vexillum, Rune Pouches, Ring of Slaying and more.
- Fixed an issue causing massive pouches to empty an incorrect amount of pure essence.
- patch 14 May 2018 (Update):
- Removed some "Your pouch is full" and "Your pouch has no essence left in it" messages from Runecrafting pouches.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The order of the 'Wear' and 'Check Runes' option has been reversed for Large pouches, as the runes stored within are now shown on the pouch's tooltip.
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- The tooltip on a medium, large or giant Runecrafting pouch now displays the increased durability (immunity to degradation) bestowed on it by the Repair Rune Pouch lunar spell.
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- Runecrafting pouches now indicate maximum capacity, degraded capacity, amount and type of essence on their tooltips.
- patch 14 September 2015 (Update):
- Messages displayed when filling runecrafting pouches have been made consistent.
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When you attempt to craft runes at the altar with an abyssal titan familiar summoned and only have higher-level pouch/pouches in your inventory (and you do not have the lower level ones in the bank) the missing pouches will appear in your familiar's inventory.
- If you set a bank preset with filled pouches, empty the pouches, and then load the preset, the preset system will not automatically fill the pouches.