The rune throwing axe is a Ranged throwing weapon and is the fourth most powerful type of throwing axe. To wield a rune throwing axe the player must have at least 50 Ranged.
As it is a one-handed projectile, the rune throwing axe can be wielded with a shield for protection or an off-hand weapon for offence.
Rune throwing axe ×25
|240 XP||-||Varies [r 1]||11,950|
| Smithing level||50|
| Must be performed at an anvil|
The rune throwing axe's special attack, Chain Hit
The rune throwing axe has a special attack called Chain Hit which hits the target and bounces to up to 3 more targets nearby dealing up to 100% weapon damage. It can bounce to the original target, hitting it twice. This appears to only happen when there is a third target to bounce to; if there are only two targets in range it will not bounce back to the original target. It consumes 10% adrenaline. Due to the very short cooldown and cost, it could be spammed repeatedly for reasonable amounts of area damage for its level.
The off-hand rune throwing axe is not required to use this special attack.
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- The damage values of rune throwing axes have been corrected.
- patch 13 June 2012 (Update):
- Players throwing axes no longer have a couple frames of the axe floating behind the player's head.
- The rune throwing axe is one of two rune weapons to feature a special attack; the other weapon is the rune claw and its off-hand counterpart.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, the special attack consumed 10% special attack energy per target hit.
- As with all throwing axes, the rune throwing axe looks somewhat similar to a battleaxe of the same metal.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, this weapon could not be smithed.
- Previously, when the special attack was initiated, the axe briefly looks like it was made of steel. After the Evolution of Combat update, it is now invisible before it starts the flying animation. However, during the flying animation it still resembles a rune throwning axe prior to the graphical update.