For this item's upgraded variants, see +1
A rune scimitar is a tier 50 melee main-hand weapon. It requires level 50 Attack to wield.
It can be made at a forge and anvil using 2 rune bars, requiring 1,200 progress to complete, granting a total of 480 Smithing experience. It can be upgraded to a rune scimitar + 1 with another 2 bars.
| Smithing level||50|
| Must be performed at an anvil|
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- update 3 February 2020 (Update):
- Adjusted disassembly to give 4 materials per bar used in creating the item from scratch
- patch 12 April 2011 (Update):
- This scimitar's animation has been updated to use the same animation as the dragon scimitar.
- patch 17 January 2011 (Update):
- Players wielding this item will no longer see it through the Wilderness Wall.
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Corrected the rune scimitar icon used in random events.
- On 28 July 2009, the Animation Pack 1 update changed the appearance and attack animations of the Rune Scimitar in order to make combat look more realistic. This was done with the godswords, the dragon scimitar, the rune and dragon longswords, and the abyssal whip.
- On 23 July 2009, five days before the scheduled update, the Rune scimitar image in the Grand Exchange database was replaced by the new model. Players found the image and posted about it in the RuneScape Forums, making it widely known before Jagex removed the image a few hours later. Five days later, the image was once again put up along with the official release.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, the rune scimitar was one of the most common, if not the most common, weapons in the F2P game due to its popularity in the F2P PKing community. After the launch of the EoC, however, many F2P PKers began switching to either the rune 2h sword (with its better damage per second) or the rune mace (due to its +4 Prayer bonus, cheaper cost, and identical stats and attack speed to the scimitar). The lack of monsters with a slash weakness in the non-members game is also contributing to its sudden drop in popularity. Nevertheless, due to the reputation it has gained before the EoC, it is still a fairly common sight among free players.