Development[edit | edit source]
Andrew Gower, Mod Chris E and four other Jagex staff have finished RuneTek 5.
In a developers' blog, Mod Chris E says that these improvements have been inspired from another Jagex product called MechScape, which has been renamed and reworked into an entirely new game titled Stellar Dawn.
The impetus for some of these improvements has come from the development of "Mechscape", and RuneScape is now able to benefit from these too.
Development is still continuing; another member of the Game Engine team has just commenced work on the DirectX RT5 implementation, and we have several awesome features in the pipeline.
For a variety of reasons, this RT5 update also finally allows us to fix the long-standing mis-click bug in the Grand Exchange (unwanted walking/friend adding, etc), along with any number of smaller long-standing issues.
|— Mod Chris E Game Engine: RuneTek 5|
Darkdeeje asks: In the last Q&A I think you confirmed that RuneScape will be ported to consoles in the near future. Any news on that?
Andrew: We are currently focusing on making the 3D engine more platform independent, so it is easier to port in the future. Our new 3D engine, RuneTek 5 (RT5), has been heavily rewritten to make this possible.
|— Q&A: Andrew Gower's Answers|
On the 22 December 2010, Jagex released a new trailer for RuneScape, showing a whole new level of graphics. Later, on RuneScape's Swedish Facebook, Mod Valkyrie posted about the new trailer and it was confirmed that the trailer was made using a new game engine that is currently being worked on.
RuneScape Svenska Ny trailer för RuneScape. Allt är "filmat" i spelet, en ny update är på gång. :)
Translation: New trailer for RuneScape. Everything is "shot" in the game, a new update is on the way. :)
|— RuneScape [email protected]|
Later, in the comments, in the same post, Mod Valkyrie answered a question stating this:
RuneScape Svenska Trailern visar ett smakprov på den nya spelmotorn som vi arbetar på just nu. :) Det kommer ta ganska länge innan den är klar, men den som väntar på något gott...!
Translation: The trailer shows a sample of the new game engine that we are working on right now. :) It is going to take pretty long time before it's finished, but he who waits for something good...!
|— RuneScape [email protected]|
History[edit | edit source]
|RuneTek version||Date||Revision no.||Major milestone|
|RuneTek 2||2000–2003[notes 1]||1-194[notes 2]||RuneScape Classic|
|RuneTek 3||2003–2007[notes 3]||194-502||RuneScape 2|
|RuneTek 4||2007–2009||503-554||RuneScape HD|
|RuneTek 5||2009–2013||555+||Massive engine re-write[notes 4]|
|RuneTek 6||2011-2013||Transformers Universe|
|RuneTek 7||2013-present||Runescape HTML5|
- ^ The RuneTek 2 engine was used by RuneScape Classic until it was shut down in 2018.
- ^ When shut down in 2018, RuneScape Classic was at version 235. The version was forked for RS2, so there are some RS2 clients with the same version number as an RSC client.
- ^ While the RuneTek 3 engine is no longer used by RuneScape 3, it is still used by Old School RuneScape.
- ^ This update brought RuneScape SD and HD into a single engine.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 June 2021 (Update):
- Fixed an issue causing some areas to render overly dark or pitch black.
- Action bar icons will now update properly when removing abilities or switching between pages.
- The empty spaces in sliding block puzzles will now appear correctly.
- Fixed a rare crash when placing walk markers.
- Fixed a crash occurring on Snapdragon 865 devices.
- Fixed a number of issues with on-screen keyboard input on iOS devices.
- Item stack counts will now appear on Samsung Galaxy S20, S21 and Note 20.
- Players on Intel GPUs will no longer see black or invisible textures in compatibility mode.
- RuneScape is now only available on iOS versions 14.0 and above.
- Improved point light brightness on mobile devices.
- Improved the speed of cache validation.
- Added contextual keyboards and auto-correction on keyboards for iOS.
- patch 24 February 2020 (Update):
- Fixed a client crash that was caused by equipping specific uncharged augmented gear.
- patch 3 February 2020 (Update):
- Resolved an issue preventing the client from launching on some Intel HD Integrated Graphics.
- Fixed an issue preventing the launcher installer from working on older versions of OSX.
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a potential cause of crashes or incorrect rendering on Linux
- Resizing the game window should no longer cause the game to crash
- Added multi-threaded shader compilation system for modern GPUs/drivers, which should reduce stutter when playing
- Fixed UV animation bug on mobile causing them not to function correctly.
- Fixed bug with HBAO causing visual artifacts to appear in the game world
- Minimap should now show things like rugs, the floor at the GE, etc., and should not show ground decor (sometimes visible as speckles on the current minimap)
- Fixed a bug with SSAO causing it to not work on the Samsung S6.
- Fixed a bug with the minimenu closing when opping NPCs in instances
- Display names in clan channels are ordered alphabetically, regardless of case.
- patch 16 May 2016 (Update):
- A potential cause of heap corruption crashes has been fixed.
- An issue where the client would open many tabs in your browser when an error forced it to close has been fixed.
- Water distortion formerly seen at the edges of foreground objects at certain camera angles has been fixed.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- DirectX mode now works correctly when using Java 1.8u40.
- An issue causing skyboxes to not render correctly in DirectX mode has been fixed.
- patch 2 February 2015 (Update):
- Entering a bank PIN into the Companion App should no longer take you to the bank instead of the page you were trying to access.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- The snow effect in the console has been re-enabled.
- An issue with bloom in OpenGL being offset when using a resized game view has been fixed.
- An animation movement issue in HTML5 has been fixed.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- Support has been added for the new ironman feature.
- Several server performance optimisations have been made so that some code now runs up to 8.5 times faster.
- patch 8 September 2014 (Update):
- The trigger order when players in groups log out has been changed.
- A number of smaller optimisations have been made.
- Fix to the camera during certain cutscenes in HTML5.
- Attempting to hop to a HTML5 world you shouldn’t be able to log into should no longer cause the game area to not show when returned to the original.
- Opening and closing the HTML5 world map no longer causes the game area to revert to older states (doors being open but looking like they are closed etc).
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied to stop players from being able to cause client disconnects via their pets.
- A couple of small performance improvements have been made.
- A fix to the interface scripts that were causing a client crash has been implemented.
- A change to the text cursor has been made to prevent it not being able to go to the start or end of a line in certain circumstances.
- An error with the HTML5 camera that was spamming errors has been fixed.
- Recolouring items from Solomon’s General Store now works correctly in HTML5.
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied to correct the overly large vegetables that have been growing for some players.
- patch 28 July 2014 (Update):
- When logging in with Facebook or Google+ the Authenticator no longer requests that you re-enter the code when the remember for 30 days option is selected.
- Some changes have been made to enable Twitch TV integration.
- The lobby will now calculate load correctly.
- patch 14 July 2014 (Update):
- A lighting effect in DirectX has been brightened. Please send a bug report for any areas that appear too bright.
- Some tweaks have been made to the engine for Legacy mode.
- patch 9 June 2014 (Update):
- The game can now run on a wider range of devices thanks to a change to feature recognition.
- Resizing the 3D game window should no longer cause other interface parts to disappear or cause camera issues (most noticeably zooming in to the character).
- NPC’s hunting for objects closer to them should no longer ignore objects that have been on the ground longer than other objects.
- patch 27 May 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied for the black areas on the minimap that usually appear after a new map loads.
- patch 14 April 2014 (Update):
- The maximum actions that can be performed by the client in one cycle has been changed from 6 to 9.
- patch 31 March 2014 (Update):
- An improved hitmark system has been implemented in advance of future combat updates.
- A number of issues with avatars in the RuneScape Companion web app have been fixed.
- patch 10 March 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied to correct a rare crash when entering DirectX mode.
- Several new features and fixes have been applied to enable the world map changes.
- A potential fix for the screen freezing issues has been implemented.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Rewritten several pieces of code to conform to newer methods and standards.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the RuneTek 5 images, one can see a blurred out spot which is the Objective system arrow. This image was released before the Objective system update. The text in the chatbox reads: "A starting arrow has been added to your world map", indicative of the existence of the Objective system during the release of this blog.
- The updated log out button was also visible in these screenshots before Runetek 5's release.
References[edit | edit source]