RuneScape talk:Use common sense
"Rules are supposed to help improve the wiki in most cases, but if you feel they aren't doing their jobs in a particular case, you can go against them. This should not be done without a good reason and a consensus." This is a contradiction in terms, people. We're being told to go ahead and go against the grain if we feel we ought to, but not without permission. Um? Planeshifted 23:08, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, only if it helps in "building a better RuneScape resource". --talk 23:12, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
- In this case, it just means really that you can't ignore the rules if other people think you shouldn't. If no one disagrees, it's still fine to go ahead and do it unilaterally. The principle "silence equals consent" applies here. Skill 23:49, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
This policy sort of renders all of the other RSW policies unnecessary:
- The goal of RSW is to be the best RS resource possible.
- RSW has rules such as the block policy, user treatment policy, etc.
- Ignore all rules allows any user to break these rules in order to create a better RS resource.
- Ignore all rules is sometimes used improperly, in a way that wouldn't make RSW a better RS resource (blocking someone for no reason, for example).
- The "line" we can draw on when it is appropriate to use ignore all rules is "Don't be a dick" (the essay Vimes linked to).
- Basically, the rules are guidelines on what is appropriate and inappropriate, but are not set in stone. Ignore them in any case in which RSW would benefit, but don't ignore them for any other reason, because that would make you a dick.
Obviously, there are some complicated cases for this. Using an image from another fansite, for example, might make RSW a better RS resource, but could also lead to the fansite trying to sue us, finding out about the disclaimer, and then demanding that the image be removed, wasting everyone's time and ultimately not benefiting RSW.
No one's going to flame anyone for making a mistake. We assume good faith. Just use common sense, and remember that we're just a community trying to compile the best RS encyclopedia we can. Gangsterls talk21:50, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
Rename this policy[edit source]
The title of this policy seems a bit contradictory, and possibly misleading to users unfamiliar with the process of the Wiki. Since the policy is really just trying to promote the use of discretion, not "Hey! I can use this policy to bypass any standard on this site!", which could escalate many editing wars/debates to places they need not go. Simply, I am thinking that a change to something more reasonable like: Use Common Sense, Use Discretion, Improvement over Policy or something like that would be more suitable. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? --Whiplash 19:34, March 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Gareth was advocating a similar move in the CC. I think that this is a great idea, since nowadays, RS:BB and RS:IAR are used too frequently to bypass wiki policy. Merely one example of BB in practice. --LiquidTalk 19:36, March 30, 2010 (UTC)
Doesn't everyone use common sense anyway? And these things are policies, not laws to be followed with the death penalty.06:47, June 4, 2013 (UTC)