RuneScape talk:Maintenance/Project ideas
I want to start a project to make a page (form, template, whatever you want to call it) where a player can enter their RSN and the form will pull their stats from the highscores, and use the Quest API, then compare:
(If a quest is complete, it will omit it from the following lists)
- If the player can start the quest, it will list it in a table with a link to the quest guide, under the heading ==Eligible to Start==
- If the player cannot start a quest, due to skill requirements alone, it will list it under the heading ==Uneligible Due to Skills== *If a player cannot start a quest, due to quest requirements alone, it will list it under the heading <nowiki> ==Uneligible Due to Quests==
- If a player cannot start a quest due to both skill and quest requirements, it will list it under the heading ==Uneligible Due to Quest and Skill Requirements==
The tables will show what quests are needed, and provide a quest tree like you can access in quest guides, so that a player can look through the quests they need to complete in order to start a certain quest.
They will also list skill requirements to start quests. Optional/recomended skills will not be listed. Nor will it list any minigames needed to start quests, such as the requirement to have played at least one game of Pest Control to start Quiet Before the Swarm. I would like to include optional skills and minigame requirements, but as there aren't many quests that need minigames, I feel like, for now, that is beyond the scope of my idea.
I'd need help from more experienced Wiki editors, especially in terms of pulling stats and quests from the API, as I'm not exactly sure how to do that easily... I can do it but the code would be stupidly complex.
20:45, March 2, 2017 (UTC)
- I think the in-game guide for this is quite good and now we can click on the quests needed if we don't have it and the requirements we have have a crossed line on it. But the idea is quite good, we just have to find a way to store all the skill requirements, as the quests requirements are done via Module:Questreq/data. The rest is quite simple, I think 14:18, April 29, 2018 (UTC)
Location to store tables[edit source]
My idea is to add a column with the location to the store tables, that indicate where items can be bought. Now only the store name is displayed, and they seldom give a clue on where that store is located. Lady Lein (talk) 12:36, April 29, 2018 (UTC)
- Seems like a reasonable suggestion, I don't see why it couldn't be added. I'll find out if it's easy to add.
09:53, April 30, 2018 (UTC)
- It has been added! =D The cache just need to be updated so all item pages will show the location of the shop. The cache will update automatically over time, but it'll take a while. You can force it though by null editing all the shop pages. Null edit means opening the source edit mode of an article and then save it without changing anything. Not sure if that also works for Visual Editor, because I don't use that. :P 13:53, April 30, 2018 (UTC)
All skill leveling calcs need an option for a custom %boost and a way to add bonus exp into calcs[edit source]
I looked around to see if this was already an idea someone had just to be sure and could't find anything. However I may be wrong. But I think it would be a simple project to go around to all the leveling calculators and add a custom xp boost% like we have for the prayer suit or the avatar boost. This way people can add in calcs for things like the tainted shard or double xp weekend manually since things like that will be in and out. I would be willing to go in and add this to all the pages I'd just need the go ahead from the community. Another calculation that I think should be added in but that I don't know how to (although I'd bet I could figure it out given the chance) is a way to put in how much bxp you have in that skill and the calc would need to take that into consideration but also only use it till it's gone. Please let me know what you guys think jericowrahl 15:51, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- I have added an option for a custom boost to all skill calcs all that needs added now is the bonus xp optionjericowrahl (talk) 21:59, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
Update history[edit source]
Some times as an old player that takes breaks I come back and wonder where this new right click option came from. Today I came across a page that reminded me of something from the TF2 wiki.
So the project would be basically looking at everything in the path notes and adding what changed to the item history. Some pages have an update history section Equipment_siphon#Update_history and some have a previous function section Ring_of_Wealth#Previous_function it would be nice to see all the changes to an item. Yes it would be a lot of work but it would be cool to see. An example of the TF2 wiki would be https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Baby_Face%27s_Blaster#Update_history
- This is actually something I proposed about a year ago, also inspired by TF2 - the section on equipment siphon is a result of that thread, and so is Shades of Mort'ton and one or two other pages. The project kinda got put on the backburner because of the impending fork and wanting to "save" improvements for the new wiki, but if you want to get it started again, the wiki's Discord server is probably the best way to communicate/coordinate with other editors. 10:05, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Amazing, I talked to some people in #wiki-rs people wished me luck and looking at the forum post there is the go ahead for it so I have started down the daunting task of updating stuff lol. I have made a tracking page at User:Tombomb/Update_History its not perfect or amazing but its a start. I'm also guessing that updates that don't tell us anything about them are safe to skip like "Some black grass has been repainted green like normal grass should be!". Let me know if I'm screwing anything up! im TomBomb#0001 on discord. Tombomb (talk) 23:12, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
Slayer Codex Thumbnails/Monster Info[edit source]
I think the Slayer Codex page should be updated to include the thumbnails from the slayer codex interface (coloured and possibly silhouetted). This would require at least 151 new images to be captured and uploaded to the wiki. The file name for each image would probably be
File:Slayer_Codex_MONSTERNAME_icon.png or similar.
In addition, the Template:Infobox Monster new page should be updated to have a new column under the "Slayer Info" section detailing if the monster could be captured for the slayer codex (and possibly linking to Slayer codex as well).
These are really just quality-of-life improvements but would help greatly in managing the slayer codex page/player-completion as a whole, even more so if it is expanded in the future.
15:36, 14 January 2019 (UTC)
Item lists by Slot[edit source]
I've noticed that it can be very difficult to find information on equipment that isn't part of a normal armor set. there aren't tables for some slots, e.g. Back. I'd say that pages should be created that will contain tables for each slot, like how the Armor subpages are set up. Arkevorkhat (talk) 19:51, 27 March 2019 (UTC)
Archaeology Research[edit source]
I am unfamiliar with writing wiki calculators/data, but here are 2 ideas that could be done with archeology research:
Archaeology Research Data Collection
Add a similar tracking mechanism to charms for archaeology research. This would take awhile to gather data after it is implemented, but once enough data is gathered, it would be very useful. It could be simplier to limit data collection to 24 hour research assignments
This should track:
- Archaeology Site
- Length of research (hours)
- Applicable boosts from researchers (checkboxes)
- Rewards fields (Dynamic based on selected site)
- Stage 1: Add support for calculating the number of research missions needed for a level. This should display the cost/xp not account for materials returned.
- Stage 2: Add support for using the above data to estimate the approx. cost/xp.
talk 21:53, 21 May 2020 (UTC)