RuneScape:Events Team/Strategies/Giant Mole
The giant mole is located in the Falador Mole Lair, under the large plant in the west of Falador Park. This makes banking fairly easy, given the proximity of Falador east bank. When joining the fight, click the plant and select custom session, then join the player's fight given in the FC. After the first time joining, when banking you can then use the rejoin option.
The Fight[edit source]
The giant mole has 6 "phases", with the first and last always being the same, and the middle four having a random order each fight. When she changes phase, she moves to a different sub-arena in the lair. There are a number of agility shortcuts throughout the lair to help move between the four corners and the center - utilising these and the magic ability Surge can speed up movement around the lair significantly.
All of the following information applies to the hard mode of the giant mole - however her attacks are mostly the same in normal mode. The main difference is that in normal mode, she changes phases after a specific amount of lifepoints, while in hard mode she moves after a random amount (tends to be a similar amount, but can sometimes be much more).
- Basic attacks
- At all times the mole will use a standard melee attack on her target. This can hit up to 1000. This can be reduced using Protect from/Deflect Melee.
- At all times, if she cannot reach any target (i.e. is being safespotted), she will summon an area of jagged rocks underneath her target, which hits rapid classless 200s. This can be avoided by running out of it, and prevented by not safespotting her.
- At the end of a phase, the mole will bury underground and move to the next location. The dirt clumps/dust clounds on the ground show the direction she went. She won't repeat phases, so you can generally know where she is in the lair.
- First phase
- The mole's first phase is her simplest. She simply attacks with her basic melee attack until she takes enough damage and decides to move on. She always spawns in the center room.
- Middle phases - north-west
- In the north-west corner of the lair, she will periodically summon four small moles to help her. While these are alive, she has a damage reduction and strength is increased (proportional to how many are alive). The small moles are fairly weak and only have 100 lifepoints, so they are easy to take out using area of effect abilities. The moles will die when she leaves the area or when she summons new ones.
- Middle phases - north-east
- In the north-east corner of the lair, she will periodically become enraged and deal faster attacks with higher damage. However, she will also lose her stun immunity, meaning you should stun her at this time. When stunned, she has lowered defence and becomes pacified.
- Middle phases - south-west
- In the south-west corner of the lair, she has a burrow attack. She will rapidly burrow underground and pop up elsewhere, leaving jagged rocks at both locations which deal rapid 200s unless moved off of. She will tend to do this several times in a row - sometimes she will burrow and pop up anywhere in the lair there are players (e.g. the center room, if players wait around there), before burrowing again and returning to the south-west room. Sometimes she will also use her burrow attack at the same time she changes phases, which can result in confusion.
- Middle phases - south-east
- In the south-east corner of the lair, the mole can cause a ceiling collapse. All players will then need to run around to avoid being hit by rapid 200s - you may also need to use freedom to break out of a stun. Her main target will become encased in mud and unable to move - another player needs to free them by clicking on them.
- Final phase
- The final phase is when she returns to the center of the lair. She will then use the abilities from all four of her middle phases - summon moles, become enraged, burrow and collapse the ceiling. Just avoid them as they are avoided in the middle phases, and reduce her lifepoints to zero.
She will always drop some big bones, one claw and 1-6 skins. Everyone who participated who also has completed all of the Falador tasks will get a mole nose (you don't need to be wielding or carrying the shield for this).
When not in lootshare, the top damage dealer will receive the claw, the top 3 damage dealers will receive skins and the main drop (and a chance at the rotten fang for pet), everyone who deals damage will receive big bones and credit to their killcount (in the beasts interface and toward an active giant mole Soul Reaper task), and a mole nose if all Falador tasks are complete; her special drops are tertiary and are notified in the game chat. When in lootshare, everything is distributed as normal lootshare mechanics (the rotten fang cannot be obtained), with the exception of noses.
Her special drops are:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Ultra-growth potion (1) (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon 2h sword (m)||1||Rare||135,572||132,000|
- Please see here for her other drops.