RuneScape:Article of the Month/Dragon Slayer/1st nomination
- Support: 1
- Oppose: 4
Support - I fully believe that the Dragon Slayer article SHOULD be the next AoTM, especially since I just finished adding so many images to it! Besides, DS is probably THE best quest guide next to While Guthix Sleeps, of course it's the best F2P quest guide, and so far there has been only one quest guide that has been featured as an AoTM, and that's WGS. What a great way to end the year, by topping it off with one of RSW's oldest and largest articles to date, and also the first free-to-play quest article! :D --Fruit.Smoothie 03:53, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - I am sorry, but I can't support. The page is littered with sd images or images taken off the knowledge base, as well as having lots of sections in it not following the quest style guide. I am not saying that it is a bad article, it is a great quest guide; the thing is that there are many articles on the wiki that are near faultless, but this is not one of them. Evil Yanks talk 05:14, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - I don't see how it doesn't fit the Quest style guide. The images can be taken care of later, and there's only one or two SD pics. It's long, informative, detailed, unique with player perspective, easy-to-read, neat (I hope so, spent a long time cleaning it up). I don't see what's quite wrong with the article? As for the KB pics, I don't see too many. I copied and pasted some of the pictures from our other articles here on the RSW. I'm sure most if not all articles use some sort of variation of the KB as their picture reference. --Fruit.Smoothie 06:39, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - It is the fansite images that is one of the main problems. It is well writen. I would nominate but because of the images I will soon as they are removed. Having those images is illegal (I think ). —Manyman (talk) 06:45, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - There's fansite images? O.O darn --Fruit.Smoothie 06:49, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
- Here is a more detailed overview:
- The QSG prefers the entire walkthrough to be bullet-pointed.
- From the Quest Style guide: "Image should be right-aligned. However, centre-alignment can be used for some images in the quest pages, such as maps."
- [[:File:Guildmaster.png]], [[:File:Oziach.png]], [[:File:Pic6.png]] and [[:File:Elvargfirebreath.png]] are all standered detail.
- [[:File:Dragon Slayer combined map.png]] shouldn't have a see-through background.
- File:Dragon slayer.jpg is stolen from the Game Guide.
- The random inventory images scattered around the article don't really add information nor visual appear to the article.
- There is currently a move in the community to replace all unneeded animations like [[:File:Runescape-monsters-greendragon.gif]] and replace them with still png versions.
The following are to my own personal taste what is visually appealing. I think that some would disagree with me on these:
- Never, ever use bold or underlines in a quest guide, and only use italics very sparingly. Bold and underlines are very distracting and unprofessional looking to me. Italics should only be used on very important words, such as "use" if you have to remember to use an item.
- I hate long blank spaces for no real reason in texts. Even though there is no rule telling me to do so (or not to do so), I am constantly removing large amounts of enters from articles which stretch out the page while decreasing its visual appeal. The most is two enters that I use, and that is only if something like a table follows.
- Linking in headings. I just don't like it, I feel that it is always better to just place the same word prominatly in the first sentence of the section.
Comment - I've cleaned up the article a bit, hopefully removed all the underlines, and replaced an SD image. --14:34, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Spaces are automatically inputted into any article whenever you save an edit or add images. It's just RSW's way of preventing overlaps. And the "stolen from the Game Guide" picture you mentioned was taken from an administrator. I think they know what they're doing. Also, I think that Dragon Slayer has the potential to be a better quest article than WGS, simply because it's F2P means that not much length is put into the quest, while WGS has been given much attention as being a "Grandmaster" quest. WGS and DS are very similar articles and quality. I just don't see why DS can't be as good as WGS.
P.S. There's only one SD image, and only one Game Guide image, Oli.--Fruit.Smoothie 23:51, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
- All editers are equal Fruit, just becuase Enigma is an admin does not mean that he is right. The game guide image is a game guide image no matter who uploads it. I do wonder why you say that the guide has potential to become as good as While Guthix Sleeps. If you want to it become featured, wouldn't you want it to be at the prime of its life?? I personally wouldn't have supported WGS if it was nominated now anyway for the same reasons as Dragon Slayer. Evil Yanks talk 03:07, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
- Admins know what they're doing though. That's why there are admins in the first place, regardless of the "AEAE" policy. Besides, tell me what's so bad about the article other than the one GG image? And the reason why I said the article has potential is because once it becomes featured (hopefully), more editors will be attracted to it and so it'll be even better. That's the whole point of AoTM. --Fruit.Smoothie 20:11, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
- Actually, I think you're only supposed to nominate an article when it's perfect, as an example for more editors. C Teng talk 02:45, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
- I think Enigma became an administrator after he uploaded the image. Don't know how this helps, but I just thought I'd mention it. --
00:05, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
- Currently I don't like the times when it says "Note: blah blah blah". I feel that this can easily can be merged into the article. There are still random sections in bold or underlined. One of the images is in standard detail, with another chat image with a transparent background. The headings are not consistant throughout the page. Evil Yanks talk 07:46, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Per above. --
18:27, December 18, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - What do you all think of the article now? Fruit.Smoothie
- With the exception of some random bold sentences still, it now looks the same as every other high quality quest article. I like how the trivia truely is trivia since it can't be placed in the article easily. I still caný support it though since I highly doubt that a quest guide will ever actually be AOTM worthy in my eyes. Evil Yanks talk 04:49, December 31, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - well, I'm not seeing all these SD images, but I only skimmed over the comments; they may be removed. It seems okay to me, but it's no Lord Drakan. I'm unsure still; none of this months nominees seem all that good to be honest.
04:31, January 2, 2010 (UTC)