Rubber chickens were Holiday Rewards available on the 21 March 2005 for only two weeks. During this time, there was an Easter bunny just south of Falador. Players could talk to the bunny and ask for a task. When asked, he would give players a basket of eggs containing some chocolate eggs to deliver to other players. When a player delivered all the eggs, they were rewarded with a Rubber chicken. If lost, players may get a replacement from Diango located in the Draynor Village market or Ianto in Prifddinas. The Rubber chicken can also be put in the toy box in the costume room of a player-owned house.
The Rubber chicken can be equipped and has the same bonuses as a bronze mace, except with slightly lower accuracy and no prayer bonus. When wielded, players will have the option to "Whack" other players. Whacking a player does not deal any damage, nor does it count as entering combat. If a player whacks a large number of players, they may "fumble" the chicken, dropping it to the ground where it must be picked up again and re-equipped.
Players can right-click the chicken, either in their inventory or on the Worn Equipment screen, and select the "Dance" option, making them do the chicken dance emote, which includes a short song. The dance and song could also be accessed by eating one of the event's Easter eggs, however once the event was concluded, this method no longer worked. Players who distract the eyes in the Abyss will sometimes perform the Chicken Dance emote, even if they do not have a Rubber chicken.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- ninja 20 August 2018 (Update):
- Rubber chicken sound effects now only play for the player engaging in the whacking.
- ninja 24 August 2015 (Update):
- The rubber chicken and Easter carrot now have their 'Whack' option as a left-click action on players.
- patch 6 July 2015 (Update):
- Both main and off-hand variants of the rubber chicken and turkey will now sheathe to the correct position.
- patch 17 January 2011 (Update):
- This item has had its wield and attack animations updated.
A player wielding a Rubber Chicken and operating it to do a chicken dance emote.
- The whack animation was changed on 17 January 2011. Previously, it used the same animation as swinging a battleaxe.
- Originally, Jagex Moderators could not be whacked with chickens.
- There used to be a bug that allowed the player to drop their Rubber Chicken, ask for a new one, and telegrab the original.
- This is one of two emotes that can be interrupted; the other being the Angry emote while wearing a Powdered wig.
- The "whack" animation is identical to the Dragon scimitar's Special attack before the Evolution of Combat.
- An update in 2015 changed the whack selection from a right click option to a left click option (replacing "walk here" as the default left click command when the cursor is hovering over another player while the rubber chicken is equipped).
The whack animation prior to 17 January 2011