|Release||29 May 2012 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||No|
|Destroy||You will have to reassemble and reforge it. Sir Rebrum can provide a coral crossbow.|
|Forged in the dragonfire of the Queen Black Dragon.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Creation[edit | edit source]
Components[edit | edit source]
The core of the royal crossbow is the coral crossbow, which is untradeable but freely obtained after completing Song from the Depths. Players who have lost their coral crossbow may retrieve another from Sir Rebrum outside the Grotworm Lair. Each player may only own one royal crossbow at any time since Sir Rebrum will not supply coral crossbows needed to create additional royal crossbows. However, the player can bypass this restriction by augmenting their current royal crossbow. Augmented royal crossbow is considered a different item and Sir Rebrum will allow players to claim another coral crossbow.
Aside from the coral crossbow, four other items are required to assemble the royal crossbow, all of which are tradeable and available as drops from the Queen Black Dragon:
|Royal bolt stabiliser||89,387 [graph]|
|Royal frame||88,777 [graph]|
|Royal sight||89,420 [graph]|
|Royal torsion spring||88,028 [graph]|
Assembly[edit | edit source]
Once a player has acquired the four pieces plus the coral crossbow, they must take them to Thurgo at Mudskipper Point, who will gladly combine the pieces into an unforged royal crossbow. He will also comment that incredible heat will be required to complete the weapon, far greater than any furnace can provide; in fact, only the fire of an ancient dragon could produce enough heat. At this point, the crossbow gains a left-click "Brandish" option, as well as an option to disassemble the weapon into its pieces. 70 Smithing is required to successfully brandish the bow.
Forging[edit | edit source]
The only ancient dragon remaining in RuneScape is the Queen Black Dragon, who slumbers deep beneath Asgarnia in the Grotworm Lair. Players must enter her lair and battle her up to her fourth phase, at which point she will begin using her extremely hot dragonfire attack (see her strategies article for more information). The Queen Black Dragon's normal dragonfire attack is not hot enough to forge the crossbow; it must be done in her extremely hot attack. Players must stand directly in the middle of the attack (next to the center artefact) while facing the Queen Black Dragon, taking its full damage, and brandish the unfinished royal crossbow. Only click once and wait until the animation finishes or else the process will not complete. Doing so will forge its components together into a usable weapon. Note that the Queen Black Dragon is a very dangerous, very powerful monster, and standing in the middle of her extremely hot dragonfire will result in very high damage. Actually defeating the Queen Black Dragon is not a requirement for forging the crossbow - even if you die, you can select to keep it on death.
The crossbow can be forged in practice mode, which ensures all items are kept on death for free.
It should be noted that once the royal crossbow has been forged by the Queen Black Dragon, it can never be split apart again, so it becomes permanently bound to the player unless lost on death or if you destroy it, in which case it will not be reimbursed. Upon death in the Wilderness, 100,000 coins appears on the ground to the killer.
Recharging[edit | edit source]
Prior to it fully degrading, any of the four components can be used on the royal crossbow to recharge it by 25%. If it fully degrades, it can only be repaired by taking the degraded royal crossbow along with all four royal crossbow components to Thurgo; re-brandishing it at the Queen Black Dragon is not necessary. The royal crossbow has 30,000 charges of combat before degrading fully and becoming royal crossbow (degraded). In this state, it has stats equal to a bronze 2h crossbow. Upon death, if the royal crossbow is equipped, it will degrade by 20% when retrieved from a grave, but does not lose any charge if it was in the inventory instead or is reclaimed from Death.
Analysis[edit | edit source]
The royal crossbow shares its level-80 ranged weapon spot with the Zaryte bow, the attuned crystal bow, the chaotic crossbow and its off-hand, and the attuned crystal chakram with its off-hand. While it is slower than said weapons, it has a longer range, meaning it can shoot targets further away. Unlike the Zaryte and attuned crystal bow, the royal crossbow gains extra damage from its ammunition. It can fire any type of bolt, but when firing bolts higher than tier 80, their damage will be scaled down to match the crossbow's level.
The royal crossbow's purchase cost is a small fraction of the Zaryte bow's, though depending on the ammunition fired, the royal crossbow may be more expensive per shot than the Zaryte bow. There are more requirements to obtain an attuned crystal weapon as Plague's End is required to get an attuned crystal weapon seed needed to create any of the weapons. Use of one of Ava's devices to automatically retrieve bolts can significantly reduce the cost per shot of the royal crossbow. Given that royal bolts, the most commonly used ammunition, cost 93 each, purchasing ammunition is not a costly endeavour.
Ironmen who use the royal crossbow but do not augment it must keep defeating the Queen Black Dragon for additional crossbow pieces when it needs to be repaired, since they cannot obtain the pieces from the Grand Exchange or from other players.
Comparison with other Ranged weapons[edit | edit source]
|Eldritch crossbow||92||1,248,573,971||2577 (92)||
|Seren godbow||92||826,765,489||2577 (92)||
|Noxious longbow||90||144,237,497||2458 (90)||
|Upgraded bone blowpipe||87||35,810,604||2458 (90)||
|Wyvern crossbow||85||23,030,780||2178 (85)||
|Hexhunter bow||80||215,702,742||1924 (80)|
|Attuned crystal bow||80
|1 Attuned crystal weapon seed
2,000 Harmonic dust
|Zaryte bow||80||7,190,171||1924 (80)||
River of Blood
|Free after River of Blood quest, 600,000 to reclaim||1829 (78)|
|Blightbound crossbow and off-hand||92||491,677,704 (main hand)
|Ascension crossbow and off-hand||90||125,289,409 (main hand)
|Superior Morrigan's throwing axe||88||9,499,675 (main hand)||2343 (88)|
|Superior Morrigan's javelin||88||9,510,575 (main hand)||2343 (88)|
|Elite Death Lotus dart and off-hand||88
|25 Death Lotus dart
25 Off-hand Death Lotus dart
2 Death lotus extract
|Shadow glaive and off-hand||85||9,361,247 (main hand)
|Death Lotus dart and off-hand||85
|2 Ancient bones
50 Ascension shards
|Attuned crystal chakram and off-hand||80
|2 Attuned crystal weapon seeds
2,000 Harmonic dust
|Chaotic crossbow and off-hand||80
| 200,000 (main hand)
|Armadyl crossbow and off-hand||75||4,464,321 (main hand)
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Two-handed crossbows|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||2.3%|
|3 × Dragonfire components||Always|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Through The Fire And Flames ( 30) – Kill the Queen Black Dragon with a royal crossbow.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- The Royal Crossbow will now display charges remaining on its tooltip.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- Royal and coral crossbows will no longer be destroyed when reclaiming them from keepsake boxes.
- patch 27 October 2014 (Update):
- The amount of coins you receive from killing a player with a royal crossbow has been increased.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- The royal crossbow no longer alters the shoulder position when equipped.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat, the royal crossbow was a one-handed weapon with a requirement of 85 ranged rather than 80. It could only fire royal bolts. It also had a unique ability in that all shots fired would deal their damage to targets in a damage-over-time effect, rather than dealing their full damage all at once. The total damage dealt per shot tended to be higher than with other crossbows. It was designed to be most useful when fighting boss monsters. Because the weapon was designed to deal damage over a long period of time, it was relatively weak against monsters without many life points. It was also ineffective against players, dealing very little damage to them.
- Its examine text that described its previous effect, "Inflicts heavy damage in prolonged encounters.", was not changed until 11 November 2019.
- Prior to an update on 7 January 2014, the only option to recharge the crossbow was to brandish it again during another fight with the Queen Black Dragon (just as it was completed the first time). Since then, players are able use any royal crossbow piece on the completed crossbow, consuming the piece and recharging 25% of the crossbow's charges.
- Even though the King Black Dragon is known to be the second dragon ever created (as referenced the Dragonkin Journals), the King is supposedly not "ancient," due to its inability to charge the Royal Crossbow. This means that the Queen Black Dragon is not only the single "ancient" dragon on Gielinor, but also the only "ancient" dragon ever to exist.