|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Behind the Scenes|
|Examine||Rather dense and soppy looking.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Romeo Gontamue is a heartbroken noble, located at the Behind the Scenes bar. He has spent much of his time there since his replacement by Gunnar's Ground. He has since fallen in love with Claire Hick, a banker, who in turn has no interest in him.
During the bank heist portion of the Gower Quest, Romeo is one of five people recruited to aid the player with the job. He is used to swoon Claire Hick, thus distracting her while the player sneaks past. However, he requires five pieces of dating advice, as he's been secluded in Behind the Scenes so long that he is out of practice.
After the player gets advice from the five God Wars Dungeon generals, he aids the player in distracting Claire.
He continues to hang out in the Behind the Scenes post-quest.
Historical[edit | edit source]
Romeo was one of Varrock's minor nobles and a descendant of Laris Gontamue, one of the founding members of the Elders of Avarrocka. He was a central character in the now removed Romeo & Juliet quest, where the player had to attempt to unite Romeo with his love, Juliet.
Romeo was generally found in Varrock Square, by the fountain. However, he had a rather large wander radius for a quest NPC, and could wander as far as Varrock East Bank, the General Store, and even the courtyard of Varrock Castle. He dressed flamboyantly and held a bouquet of flowers, similar to the wieldable flowers obtainable by members.
Romeo is notably different from the character in the original Shakespearean tragedy Romeo and Juliet, as the RuneScape version appears to be foppish, slow-witted and idiotic. He has trouble with wording his sentences correctly and cannot grasp the basic plan of the quest, thinking that Juliet is a ghost towards the end of the quest and running away. He starts a relationship with Juliet's cousin Phillipa.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Romeo's last name, Gontamue, is a spoonerism of Montague, Romeo's last name in the original Shakespearean play.
- It was possible to contact Romeo using the spell NPC Contact, where he would act affectionately towards the player. After he was originally removed from the game with Gunnar's Ground, this is no longer possible.
- Before the release of the Members' Loyalty Programme, several emotes shared a likeness with Romeo.
- He has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard, which reads: "Romeo Gontamue (sans head). A lover, but certainly not a fighter." His severed head is found on a chain in Zemouregal's study instead, along with Juliet's and Dororan's.
- Romeo replied to a letter in the fourteenth issue of Postbag from the Hedge, where he wrote that he stole his Moonclan cape from an elderly man with a blue partyhat.
- During the Gower Quest it is revealed that Romeo has level 34 Divination.
- When Speaking to Romeo for the first time during the Gower Quest he will say "A lovestruck Romeo sings a street suss serenade" which is the beginning line to Dire Strait's song Romeo & Juliet. The player even has a option to say that song sounds familiar which Romeo will then mention he's been down here since 2010 and is still not use to all the references.