The Ritual of Rebirth is a ritual that is used primarily by phoenices but can also be used by any other magic creature to rebirth themselves and restart their natural lifespans. The Phoenix is a regular user of this ritual and the player must help her complete it during In Pyre Need when she is injured and cannot complete it herself.
For the Phoenix to perform the ritual, it needs to be burnt alive on a funeral pyre made of cinnamon, sassafras, ailanthus, cedar, and mastic trees. It also needs to be sufficiently weak such that the flames of the fire will kill it. After it is burnt to ashes, it will be reborn. There are other ways of performing the ritual too, however. During 2017 Christmas event, the Phoenix performs it on a burnt-to-ash Rudolph by bringing him to her lair, dousing the ashes with her flames, and saying Dabarim Kana'anim. This was enough to rebirth him, but with the side effect of imparting Phoenix-like magical essence into him and giving him flaming wings.
The Phoenix also says that the ritual can possibly breathe life into inanimate objects. However, when this was tested with the Clockwork Gnome, it failed to occur.
- ^ Phoenix, "The G-Nome Project", RuneScape. "Rudolph is a being of magic. He is currently in the perfect state for the Ritual of Rebirth."
- ^ Priest of Guthix, "In Pyre Need", RuneScape. "The phoenix has a natural lifespan of 500 years. There is a set ritual it must go through when its life is ending, in order for it to be reborn and live for another five centuries."
- ^ Priest of Guthix, "In Pyre Need", RuneScape. "In order to be reborn, the phoenix must be burnt alive on a funeral pyre woven from the wood of five particular trees. You must weave a basket from the fletched twigs of cinnamon, sassafras, ailanthus, cedar and mastic trees. This basket must be placed on the base of the pyre in the phoenix's roost, and then it must be lit. Usually, you would also need to best the phoenix in combat to weaken it, so that it can succumb to the flames. This time, however, the phoenix is already weak and dying. The phoenix will enter the pyre and be burnt to ashes. From these ashes, it will be reborn – young and strong again... Only fresh twigs will suffice for the ritual."
- ^ Phoenix, "The G-Nome Project", RuneScape. "The magical essences, of the Phoenix and of this wonderful little creature, are now entwined and combined. Perhaps this is a physical manifestation of the union of the two."
- ^ Phoenix, "The G-Nome Project", RuneScape. "I haven't seen Phoenix magic do such a thing, but theoretically..." Said in response to "Would you be able to breathe life into this Clockwork Gnome? Make him more real perhaps?"