Ripper demon (species)
Ripper demons are very powerful and agile Chthonian demons, which use their long claws to tear the victim into pieces, along with a powerful death-jump/chop known as "Val'Rukath's Runaway Brain Train".
Unlike other demons, who generally manifest a physical form to walk on Gielinor, a ripper demon's physical form is actually that of a symbiote. This symbiote is self-aware and latches itself onto any host, willingly or not, before taking over all of their motor functions and warping their body as needed.
Although the demon can be killed like any other normal demon, the host is simply disabled, immobilizing the demon unless it is able to find a new host.
Like all demons, they arrived on Gielinor in the Second Age and initially served the God Zaros. After Zamorak defeated him, however, many of them joined his side and proved to be very important followers. However, during at least the early part of the Third Age, a number of these demons remained loyal to the Empty Lord, actively hunting those who betrayed their master.
During the Second Age, a pack of them attacked Flamtaer, a small village for unknown reasons. Torva, who was an inhabitant of the village, single-handedly defeated them. This made the Mahjarrat Hazeel angry enough that the Mahjarrat decided to fight Torva himself. Torva showed no fear and prepared to fight Hazeel; however, Nex, knowing that Torva would lose the battle, intervened and took Torva under her wing.
Early in the Third Age, the ripper demons who continued to follow Zaros were responsible for hunting down and killing two of the last five Dragon Riders, Balustan and Ablenkian, who, despite their allegiance to the Empty Lord, were branded traitors by his remaining followers.
During the God Wars, the Zamorakian ripper demons were tasked to kill important individuals of other armies. "The Ripper" was among the most important of them. He killed Sergeant Mazakon, an Icyene commander of Saradomin, and Elder Tasgall, the leader of a Saradominist village; Saint Elspeth, an important recruiter who sang beautiful songs to inspire Saradominists to join Saradomin's army; and many other important targets. In the story The Song From Before The War, the death of The Ripper and Saint Elspeth is told. It also mentions notable Saradominists such as Commander Zilyana.
Today, ripper demons still exist and can be summoned by occultists; one possible Player-owned ports mission involves defending an island in the Eastern Lands from a pack of rippers summoned in this way.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Nipper demon, RuneScape. "Val'Rukath's Runaway Brain Train?"
- ^ Nipper demon, RuneScape. "It's so painless. I slide over your body and take over all your motor functions. You'll barely notice."
- ^ Miner's journal #3, RuneScape. "Saradomin save us, I saw Archy properly this time. The bandages that wrapped around him, they aren't bandages. I don't know what they are, but they were crawling over him, growing over him like some sort of horrible second skin. He was screaming the whole time, but one of them was growing over his throat, silencing him. His hands were claws, huge metallic claws. I think he was trying to call us to help, but the horrible flesh, that crawled all over him, dragged him back into the shadows. Controlling him like some nightmare puppeteer."
- ^ a b Hannibus, Last riders, RuneScape. "Those loyal to the Empty Lord believed Ablenkian, Balustan and I were traitors too, and came for us. [...] It wasn't long before Ablenkian and Balustan followed her. They tried to flee but were torn apart by the Empty Lord's ripper demons."
- ^ Unknown author, Nex's Followers, RuneScape.
- ^ Jagex. "The Song From Before The War." RuneScape Lores and Histories.