Rex Matriarchs in their lair.
The Rex Matriarchs are three powerful female rex dinosaurs that were enhanced by Kerapac. They are considered to be a spiritual successor of the Dagannoth Kings and share many similarities, but each dinosaur possesses unique mechanics and all of them are simply more resistant to attacks they are neutral to/strong against rather than being completely immune to it.
- Orikalka, the Bagrada matriarch who attacks with melee and is weak to magic, specifically fire spells.
- Rathis, the Corbicula matriarch who attacks with poisonous ranged attacks and is weak to melee, specifically stab.
- Pthentraken, the Pavosaurus matriarch who attacks with magic and is weak to ranged, specifically arrows.
Rewards from defeating the matriarchs include hearts that can be used to upgrade Archers, Berserker, Seers and Warrior rings into the Stalker, Reaver, Channeller and Champion rings, each of which providing a special effects and providing some of the strongest bonuses for the ring slot. They can also drop parts of Laniakea's spear, a halberd-range tier 82 weapon with the accuracy of a tier 75 weapon and damage of a tier 90 weapon, along with the boss pets Corbi, Bagra and Pavo.
After Raksha was captured and imprisoned by the Dragonkin, the Dactyl fledgling Kerapac was greatly intrigued by the Raksha's passive traits - namely, his poisonous spines, ice breath and electrical discharge. Taking a trio of female rexes - one Bagrada, Corbicula and Pavosaurus, he grafted each of the Raksha's traits into them. Rathis was given the poisonous traits, Pthenraken was given the electrical traits, and Orikalka the ice traits.
The three matriarchs were the prototypes of what would eventually culminate as the present-day dragon race.
The rex matriarches' potency was less than that of Raksha's, but Kerapac was content enough as is as he did not want to create a new threat for the Dragonkin. They most likely shared a similar fate to Raksha when the island fell into disrepair. Similarly to Raksha, the rex matriarches were drawn from a previous version of Anachronia when Kerapac re-created the island using the Needle in his attempt to stop the Elder Gods for good.
The matriarches were soon discovered by Laniakea, who fought the trio but was eventually forced to retreat. They claimed parts of her spear as spoils.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- Rex Matriarchs were scheduled to be released on 8 March 2021, but issues related with the game's login servers delayed their release. Their release is planned for 19 April.
- ^ The One Above All, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "I immediately order that we perform some surgical removals of certain of its traits - its venom sacs to begin with, but it also appears to have abilities to generate electrical charges, which it employs as some form of active camouflage, and cold breath, the application of which I am uncertain."
- ^ Father of Dragons, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "I have had some success in grafting the Raksha's removed traits into a trio of female rexes of other classifications - a bagrada, corbicula and pavosaurus, to be specific."
- ^ Father of Dragons, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "The abilities seem to have taken, albeit at a reduced level potency. That is perhaps for the better, as while these classifications of rexes easier for us to subdue and control, I do not want to create a new threat for us to contend with."
- ^ Leads Q&A - Wednesday, April 7th.