Rex Matriarchs in their lair.
The Rex Matriarchs are three powerful female rex dinosaurs that were enhanced by Kerapac. They are considered to be a spiritual successor of the Dagannoth Kings and share many similarities, but each dinosaur possesses unique mechanics and all of them are more resistant to attacks they are neutral to/strong against rather than being completely immune to it. The Rex Matriarchs are:
Orikalka, the Bagrada matriarch which attacks with melee and is weak to magic, specifically fire spells.
Rathis, the Corbicula matriarch which attacks with poisonous ranged attacks and is weak to melee, specifically stab.
Pthentraken, the Pavosaurus matriarch which attacks with magic and is weak to ranged, specifically arrows.
The three Rex Matriarchs.
Rewards from defeating the matriarchs include hearts that can be used to upgrade Archers', Berserker, Seers', and Warrior rings into the Stalker, Reaver, Channeller, and Champion rings, each of which provide a special effect and some of the strongest bonuses for the ring slot. The matriarchs can also drop parts of Laniakea's spear, a halberd-range tier 82 weapon with the accuracy of a tier 75 weapon and damage of a tier 90 weapon, along with the boss pets Corbi, Bagra, and Pavo.
Completing the boss collection log for the Rex Matriarchs completes the Rex Flex feat and awards the title, [Name] the Ferocious.
Location of the teleportation device on Anachronia.
Activating the device teleports the player to the dungeon beneath Anachronia, containing the matriarchs.
- By activating the Teleportation device in the Spirit Grove, directly east from the Anachronia base camp, then running all the way east until arriving at the Matriarch Lair door.
- By using a War's retreat attuned boss portal, being teleported right in front of the Matriarch Lair door.
After Raksha was captured and imprisoned by the Dragonkin, the Dactyl fledgling Kerapac was greatly intrigued by the Raksha's passive traits - namely, his poisonous spines, ice breath, and electrical discharge. Taking a trio of female rexes - one Bagrada, Corbicula, and Pavosaurus, he grafted each of the Raksha's traits into them. Rathis was given the poisonous traits, Pthentraken was given the electrical traits, and Orikalka the ice traits.
The three matriarchs were the prototypes of what would eventually culminate as the present-day dragon race.
The rex matriarchs' potency was less than that of Raksha's, but Kerapac was content enough as he did not want to create a new threat for the Dragonkin. They most likely shared a similar fate to Raksha when the island fell into disrepair. Similarly to Raksha, the rex matriarchs were drawn from a previous version of Anachronia when Kerapac re-created the island using the Needle in his attempt to stop the Elder Gods for good.
Only the unique rewards obtainable from the Matriarchs are listed here. For detailed information on the drops, check each Matriarch's article.
Each of the Matriarchs have a different drop table, however some drops are shared.
Orikalka's primary reward is the Heart of the Warrior required to create the Champion's ring.
Rathis's primary reward is the Heart of the Archer required to create the Stalker's ring.
Pthentraken's primary reward is the Heart of the Seer required to create the Channeller's ring.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 26 April 2021 (Update):
- Affinity has been adjusted, increasing the Matriarchs' base chance to be struck in combat
- Projectile speeds have been adjusted so damage should better line up with the projectile hitting the player
- Removing the Frostbite debuff via Pyroclastic Shock will now immediately reset your global cooldown
- Slayer XP has been increased
- Combat XP has been reduced
- Shards can now be correctly combined into Hearts
- Rare drops from Rex Matriarchs will now consistently trigger a broadcast
- hotfix 26 April 2021 (Update):
- The arena entrance has been adjusted to prevent it being used as a safe spot
- This also resolves instances of low XP and/or no drops
- The damage on Laniakea's Spear is now up to its intended T90 level
- update 19 April 2021 (Update):
- Added to game.
- This week the Rex Matriarchs come roaring into the game with a new combat challenge for experienced fighters.
- You'll go up against three respawning bosses. Each has a different strength to test your mettle, but also a different weakness to be exploited. Grind those kills and earn powerful rewards to boost your Combat playstyle, or maybe even get your hands on the iconic Laniakea's Spear - T90 damage / T75 accuracy is not to be sniffed at, plus, it'll give you 5% extra poison damage and +5% chance to apply poison when used. Veteran RuneScapers may recall classics such as Dagannoth Kings while new challengers will enjoy a brutal test of their combat mastery. Note that access to Anachronia is required to take on this challenge. So what are you waiting for? Grab your best gear and head to central Anachronia. The lair of the Rex Matriarchs awaits...
- Rex Matriarchs were scheduled to be released on 8 March 2021, but issues related with the game's login servers delayed their release. They were released on 19 April.
- The background image for the Rex Matriarchs' entry in the Beasts interface reuses the image of the Dagannoth Kings' cave.
- ^ The One Above All, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "I immediately order that we perform some surgical removals of certain of its traits - its venom sacs to begin with, but it also appears to have abilities to generate electrical charges, which it employs as some form of active camouflage, and cold breath, the application of which I am uncertain."
- ^ Father of Dragons, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "I have had some success in grafting the Raksha's removed traits into a trio of female rexes of other classifications - a bagrada, corbicula and pavosaurus, to be specific."
- ^ Father of Dragons, written by Kerapac, RuneScape. "The abilities seem to have taken, albeit at a reduced level potency. That is perhaps for the better, as while these classifications of rexes easier for us to subdue and control, I do not want to create a new threat for us to contend with."
- ^ Leads Q&A - Wednesday, April 7th.*