Players can right-click the run button next to the minimap and select "Rest" from the menu. By default, resting players sit down in a relaxed stance; alternating between two possible sitting positions (three for female characters). While in this stance energy and life points will regenerate far quicker. At level 1 Agility, run energy will regenerate at 2.8 points per second when resting as opposed to 0.44 points per second when not. Life points are also regained much faster.
Rest is not functional if one is poisoned, being attacked, holding a banner, or in the form of a monkey, goblin or a penguin. Therefore, the resting ability does not give immunity to the attacks of other players or NPCs.
History[edit | edit source]
On the 19 March 2009, Jagex created a RuneScape account on Facebook. One of the pictures added shows a player battling Chronozon, and a message in the chat box that reads: , undoubtedly a reference to the rest feature. This showed the Rest button would have some kind of restoring properties.
On 1 April 2009 the Rest option was removed. That same day in the RuneScape Forums, Mod Ash stated: "The Rest option is coming soon. I'm not sure exactly when. Until it does finally come, there's no real need to leave it sitting there doing nothing". On 23 April, Jagex released a development diary stating that the Rest feature was a mistake. The diary also states that the rest feature will centre on what was originally known as buskers, musician NPCs who play their instruments.
Musician[edit | edit source]
When listening to a Musician, energy will regenerate at an even faster pace. At level 1 Agility, resting near a musician regenerates energy at 3.8 points per second instead of 2.8 when resting normally or 0.44 when not resting at all. When listening to any one of the many musicians with Music enabled, the in-game music will switch to a different track, in lieu with the instrument played by the musician.
Animations[edit | edit source]
Resting animations can be activated at any time via the Customisation interface of the Gear tab, under Animations. If more than one resting animation is activated, one will be used in sequence from the order they were activated each time the player rests, starting with the first activated. Note that animations on this page are not loaded with the page, click the link to load a single animation, or click here to load all of them.
Solomon's General Store[edit | edit source]
Soon after the opening of Solomon's General Store, new resting animations were made available for players. The first ever resting animation is the Zen Resting, which has since been free for all members.
|Load Zen Resting.gif||Zen Resting||N/A||N/A||N/A||No one said finding perfect harmony would be easy.|
|Load Arcane Resting.gif||Arcane Resting||200||180||N/A||When mystical forces are yours to command, you can rest in style anywhere, at any time.|
|Load Strongarm Resting.gif||Strongarm Resting||200||180||N/A||Resting? Resting is for the weak!|
|Load Sinister Slumber.gif||Sinister Slumber||222||200||N/A||Take a quick nap in the style of the most powerful vampyres of Morytania.|
|Load Energy Drain Resting.gif||Energy Drain Rest||277||250||N/A||If you are truly in tune with magical energies, you can recharge the ol' batteries from pretty much any source, wherever you are...|
|Load Crowd_Serf.gif||Crowd Serf||222||200||N/A||With goblin serfs at your beck and call, resting is always a pleasure.|
|Load Armchair Warrior.gif||Armchair Warrior||277||250||N/A||Every warrior needs a break, and with this chair you can truly rest in comfort and style.|
|Load Wushanko Warrior Resting.gif||Wushanko Warrior Resting||277||250||N/A||A demanding but effective combat drill taught by sailors returning from the Eastern Lands.|
|Load Crystal Impling Resting.gif||Crystal Impling Resting||277||250||N/A||Attune to the world and refresh amid the ancient impling crystal dance.
Other[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- Flared Cocktail rest animation no longer shows a glowing orb when used alongside the Noxious staff.
- Visual effects from your weapon will no longer persist while resting with the "Loves me, Loves me not" animation activated.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- patch 11 April 2016 (Update):
- "Flipping the coin" rest animation no longer stretches when wearing white or Torva gloves.
- patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- Resting with a Goebie disguise kit no longer stretches the character.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- patch 11 December 2012 (Update):
- Trying to stop resting in certain situations no longer causes the player to animate strangely.
- patch 15 September 2010 (Update):
- patch 17 November 2009 (Update):
- Various extra checks have been added to the skillcapes and resting.
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- Adjusted the code for resting due to changes with the previous update.
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- Corrected the run mode option text after resting.
- No more resting on Tutorial Island – you should be learning!
- You can no longer attempt the shot-put while resting.
- patch 16 June 2009 (Update):
- Players should no longer float slightly when resting while wearing a dragon plateskirt.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If one tries to do an emote while resting a message will appear in the chatbox: "Emotes aren't very restful."
- It used to be possible to bank while resting.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, resting only restored 1 life point per 6 seconds.
- The rest update had many unexpected side effects and caused crippling glitches to the game for the first day after its release, resulting in angry reactions from players who found that the glitches interfered with their gameplay.